Moriarty, field hockey shut out Wesleyan 3-0

Jessie Moriarty's two goals helped Bates defeat Wesleyan 3-0 on Sept. 24. 2016. (Phyllis Graber Jensen/Bates College)  

LEWISTON, Maine -- Jessie Moriarty's two goals in the first half catapulted the Bates field hockey team to a 3-0 NESCAC victory over Wesleyan University on Saturday at Campus Avenue Field.

First-year Alexa Jurgeleit (Barrington, R.I.) also scored while sophomore Taylor Lough (Little Compton, R.I.) and sophomore Shelbie McCormack (Tyngsborough, Mass.) recorded assists for the Bobcats (4-2, 2-2 NESCAC), who are off to their best start after six games since 2006. Bates will play host to Williams College tomorrow at 1pm in another NESCAC game.

Wesleyan fell to 1-5 overall and 0-2 in conference play. The Cardinals next play at Tufts Tuesday at 6pm.

Bates attempted the first two shots of the game on the first two penalty corners. In the 11th minute, Lough slapped a hard shot from the left wing that was saved by Cardinals goalkeeper Delaney Wood. The rebound came back out to Lough, who passed back in to Moriarty near the left post, who worked the ball around a defender and Wood and rolled the ball inside the far post for the 1-0 lead. The goal became the fourth game-winning tally for Moriarty on the season.

Moriarty (Springfield, Mass.) added her team-high fifth goal in the 25th minute on another penalty corner. From the top of the circle, McCormack dished out to Moriarty on on the left wing. Moriarty's shot rose two feet and landed inside the near post and into the cage.

Bates maintained control of the rest of the game, outshooting Wesleyan by a 21-11 margin. In the 53rd minute, the Bobcats increased their lead in the aftermath of another penalty corner. First-year Isa Garcia-Moreno's (Baltimore, Md.) shot from the left was blocked and the long rebound came out to Jurgeleit, who fired inside the far corner for her first collegiate score.

Sophomore Adelae Durand (Cumberland, R.I.) kept goal for Bates in the first half and made two saves, raising her record to 3-1. First-year Alyssa Souza (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) played the second half and made three saves, sharing in the shutout.