Field hockey defeats Southern Maine 4-0, secures most victories in one season since 1999

The Bates field hockey team won their eighth game of the season on October 18, 2016, a 4-0 victory over Southern Maine. The victory marks the field hockey team's most wins in one season since they went 11-4 in 1999. (File photo by Phyllis Graber Jensen/Bates College) 

LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates field hockey team won their fourth consecutive game with a 4-0 victory over Southern Maine Tuesday night on Campus Ave. Field. 

With the win, the Bobcats (8-5) earned their eighth win of the year, their most victories in one season since 1999 when they went 11-4. The Bobcats' current four-game winning streak is their longest since they also won four in a row in 2002. 

"It means a lot to the team," head coach Dani Ryder said. "We are only willing to build up, so it's just nice when we reach these little milestones. But we want to keep moving forward and not ever settle." 

In misty conditions, Bates held the visiting Huskies (7-10) to just five shots, earning sophomore goalkeeper Adelae Durand (Cumberland, R.I.) her second shutout of the season. Durand made a pair of saves on the evening. 

Bates dominated the first half of play, out-shooting the Huskies 14-1. But only one of those shots netted a goal for the Bobcats. 

In the 34th minute of action, sophomore Adah Lindquist (Wayne, Pa.) took a penalty corner. Sophomore Emma Patterson (Denver, Colo.) received the ball and found sophomore Jessie Moriarty (Springfield, Mass.) who tallied her team-leading seventh goal of the season to give the Bobcats a 1-0 lead. Patterson's assist is her second of the year. 

Leading 1-0 at halftime, Bates added to their lead in the 54th minute of action. First-year Alexandra Leahy (Cohasset, Mass.) fired a shot on goal. Southern Maine goalkeeper Elizabeth Amadei made the save but the ball deflected to sophomore Taylor Lough (Little Compton, R.I.) who cleaned up for her fourth goal of the year.

Just over a minute later, first-year Isa Garcia-Moreno (Baltimore, Md.) took advantage of a loose ball in front of the cage, poking it in to net her third goal of the season. Her goal came at the 54:26 mark, forcing USM to call timeout.

Perhaps the most impressive goal of the game for the Bobcats was their final goal of the night and the second for Garcia-Moreno.

In the 58th minute, Leahy took an aggressive shot from the left side of the cage. The ball sailed up in the air and Garcia-Moreno expertly deflected it into the goal, giving Leahy her second assist of the season and extending the lead to 4-0. 

The Bobcats return to NESCAC action Saturday morning when they visit defending national champion Middlebury for an 11:00 a.m. contest.