Men's lax closes out home slate with 11-8 loss to Camels

Will Gilkeson '14 scored two goals and assisted on another in his final game at Garcelon Field on April 19, 2014. (File photo by Mike Bradley/Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- Connecticut College outscored the Bates College men's lacrosse team 8-0 over a stretch of more than 28 minutes, erasing an early 3-1 Bates lead en route to an 11-8 NESCAC victory Saturday afternoon at Garcelon Field.

Bates (4-8, 1-8 NESCAC) fell out of postseason contention with the loss and will finish the 2014 season at rival Colby on Wednesday at 4pm.

CC (9-5, 5-4 NESCAC) moved into a tie with Williams for sixth place in the conference, and will finish the regular season at Wesleyan on Wednesday at 4:30pm.

Tyler Hegarty scored four goals to lead the Camels. Briggs Barton scored three times and added an assist, while Derek Bertolini handed out three assists in addition to two goals. JR Hartgers contributed a goal and two more assists. Goalkeeper Bobby Bleistein may have been the Camels' top performer of the day, making 15 saves and collecting three ground balls. Faceoff man John Hazard would also lay a valid claim to that title, after winning 13 of 20 faceoffs and scooping 11 ground balls.

Bates took one more shot than CC, 34-33, and put five more shots on goal than the Camels, 23-18. 

Sophomore Jack Allard (Ridgewood, N.J.) led Bates with three goals and two assists, while senior Will Gilkeson (Cleveland Heights, Ohio) added a season-high two scores with one assist.

Now with 31 goals on the season, Allard is the first Bobcat to surpass the 30-goal plateau since 2002, when Jack Sandler '02 netted 32 goals. Sandler is now head coach at Colby.

Bates senior Charlie Kazarian (Providence, R.I.) started in goal and made five saves in 45 minutes. Sophomore Joe Faria (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.) manned the pipes in the third quarter and made two saves.

Colin Lyne (Beverly, Mass.) was one of six seniors in Bates' starting lineup, in their final home game, and Lyne netted his first career goal in a conference game to get the Bobcats first on the scoreboard just 17 seconds into the game, as Allard found him open in a soft spot in front of CC's goal.

CC joined Bates on the board with an unassisted tally by Bertolini, but Allard answered with back-to-back goals at 10:15, on sophomore defender Ken O'Friel's (Scarsdale, N.Y.) third assist of the season, and at 6:57 on Gilkeson's assist.

A Bates turnover led to Barton's first goal, assisted by Thomas Woessner, closing the gap to 3-2. Barton struck again less than two minutes later with a helper from Bertolini, tying the game at 3-3. Hazard controlled the next faceoff, and the Camels grabbed their first lead soon after, with 2:55 left in the first, on a connection from Hartgers to Bertolini.

CC was assessed a three-minute, non-releasable penalty for an illegal crosse after the goal, giving Bates a big opportunity. But the Bobcats turned the ball over before they could attempt a shot, and James Messina collected the ground ball for the Camels, who were able to keep the ball for the remainder of Bates' power play, which ended at the start of the second quarter.

Bates was held scoreless in the second quarter while CC added three goals to its lead to take control of the game. Bleistein made four saves in the period while CC outshot Bates 9-5. Hegarty scored his first two goals of the game at the 12:14 and 8:09 marks for a 6-3 lead, and with 1:09 left in the half Barton made it 7-3. Bates finished a frustrating half by commiting a turnover with 15 seconds to go.

The Camels continued their run into the second half. Hartgers fed Hegarty to make it 8-3 with 13:01 to go, and Hartgers struck again with a brilliant individual move that set up an uncontested shot on Faria's doorstep, opening up a 9-3 lead for CC.

Bates broke its scoring drought with the game's only man-up goal, as junior Conor Henrie (Lexington, Mass.) fed first-year Andrew Melvin (Medfield, Mass.) with 7:43 left. Gilkeson then gave Bates a flicker of hope with an unassisted tally 64 seconds later, closing the gap to 9-5.

In the final seconds of the third quarter, Bates seemed to have the Camels well defended, but the tall Barton somehow found Hegarty open over the middle, and the Hegart tallied his fourth and final goal with 0.3 seconds left in the period. The Camels then regained their six-goal edge with 13:35 to go in the game, a Kevin Dachille goal assisted by Bertolini.

Bates again tried to charge back into contention, reeling off three unanswered goals at the 11:06 (Gilkeson from Allard), 9:52 (first-year Kyle Weber [Chagrin Falls, Ohio], unassisted) and 7:15 (Allard from first-year Charlie Fay [Falmouth, Maine]) points of the fourth quarter, again closing within three goals. Hazard won the next faceoff, however, and CC maintained possession for nearly five straight minutes, only giving the ball back to the Bobcats when Kazarian made the save on a Dachille shot with 2:25 left in the game.

Bleistein made saves on shots by Weber and Strain before the Camels walked off the field with their fifth NESCAC win of the year.