LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team hosted a very competitive four-team meet Saturday at the Russell Street Track and came away with the team points victory over MIT, Tufts and RPI.
Bates, ranked 45th in Division III this week by the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association, scored 230 points, bettering No. 11 MIT (178.5), No. 27 Tufts (169) and No. 39 RPI (132.5).
Top-six performances by the Bobcats included:
- Junior Adedire Fakorede (Newark, N.J.) won the hammer throw in 160-5, one inch ahead of Tufts' Ifeoluwa Adebayo. Fakorede also won the shot put by 15 inches ahead of Tufts' Kevin Quisumbing and placed second in the discus throw (166-3), 14 inches behind MIT's Richard Bratten.
- Bates swept the top five places in the 800-meter run, led by senior captain Patrick Griffin (Harvard, Mass.) in 2:00.01. Junior Jack Kiely (Severna Park, Md.) was second (2:00.33), followed by junior Rob Flynn (Bedford, N.H.) in third (2:00.76), senior Mike Horowicz (Montclair, N.J.) in fourth (2:01.32) and sophomore Ian Wax (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) in fifth (2:01.72).
- Bates also swept the top four places in the 10,000 meters, led by junior Stephen Rowe (Gambier, Ohio) in 32:21.83, followed by senior Nick Orlando (Milton, Mass.) in 32:25.09), first-year Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) at 32:27.58) and junior Matthew Morris (Bethesda, Md.) at 33:09.05.
- Kiely won the 1,500 meters in 4:01.56, with Horowicz second (4:02.68).
- Sophomore Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) won the javelin throw at 194-5, over 20 feet beyond runner-up Joe Grella of RPI.
- Senior Blake Downey (Eliot, Maine) was first out of four competitors in the decathlon with 5,470 points. First-year Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) was third (4,750).
- Senior Joe Doyle (Glastonbury, Conn.) placed second in the 5,000 meters (15:23.52).
- Sophomore Isaiah Seetram (Ajax, Ontario) placed second in the long jump (21-4.75).
- Sophomore Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) placed third in the 100-meter dash (11.05), with senior Colin Kraft (Northborough, Mass.) fourth (11.09). Both times were wind-aided. Kraft also placed sixth in the 200 meters (22.60).
- First-year Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) came in third in the 110-meter hurdles (15.34) and third in the high jump (6-2).
- Bates came in second in the 4x100 relay (43.42), on legs run by Seetram, Corley, Kimpolo-Pene and Kraft.
- Senior Evan Ferguson-Hull (West Hartford, Conn.) came in third place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (9:51.54), with junior Ben Tonelli (Seattle, Wash.) just 0.02 seconds behind in fourth (9:51.56).
- Junior Garrett Anderson (Raleigh, N.C.) took third place in the pole vault (14-1.25).
- Sophomore Zachary Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) placed fourth in the hammer throw (144-8).
- Sophomore Michael Somma (Colts Neck, N.J.) finished fifth in the 400-meter dash (51.61).
- Junior Caleb Stotz (Pittsburgh, Pa.) placed fifth in the triple jump (40-5).
Bates next competes at the UNH Wildcat Invitational next Saturday in Durham, N.H.