LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team won team scoring among five Division III teams Saturday in the Bates Invitational, taking first place in 14 out of 19 events.
The meet also featured Division I Maine and Bryant scoring separately (by rule) from Division III, as well as independent athletes competing.
Bates scored 279 points to dominate the Division III portion of the meet. Colby was second with 98 points, followed by Husson (76), Keene State (52) and St. Joseph's (2). In Division I scoring, Maine defeated Bryant 102-51.
Bates great David Pless '13, a three-time NCAA indoor champion in the shot put, also took part in the meet and set the facility record in the shot put at 19.14 meters.
- Senior captain Adedire Fakorede (Newark, N.J.) won the weight throw (18.15 meters) and the shot put (14.52).
- Sophomore Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) won the high jump at 1.88 meters and was third in the long jump (6.22).
- Junior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) won the 800 meters in 2:01.99.
- Senior Garrett Anderson (Raleigh, N.C.) placed first in the pole vault (4.55 meters).
- First-year Ryan Nealis (London, England) won the mile in 4:36.80.
- First-year Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) won the 60-meter hurdles (8.91), with senior Kawai Marin (Reading, Mass.) second (8.95).
- Senior Christopher Lietz (Exeter, N.H.) won the 600 meters in 1:31.57.
- Junior Ian Wax (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) won the 1,000 meters in 2:38.43.
- Senior Zach Magin (West Hartford, Conn.) won the 3,000 meters against a field of seven teammates and one Keene State runner. Sophomore Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) was second (8:52.18).
- Senior captain Stephen Rowe (Gambier, Ohio) won the 5,000 meters in 15:28.02), edging junior teammate Henry Colt (Whately, Mass.)
- Junior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) placed second in the 200-meter dash (23.52).
- Junior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) took second place in the 400 meters (54.02).
- Senior captain Rob Flynn (Bedford, N.H.) placed second in the 800 meters (2:02.56).
- Sophomore Mitch Norcross (Marblehead, Mass.) was second in the high jump (1.88 meters).
- Senior David Dick (Ipswich, Mass.) was second in the pole vault (4.10 meters).
- Junior Zach Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) took second place in the weight throw (15.25 meters).
- Senior Tom Endean (McLean, Va.) placed third in the shot put (13.37 meters).
- Bates won the 4x400 relay in 3:29.76, on legs run by Corley, junior Michael Somma (Colts Neck, N.J.), Mark Fusco and Flynn.
Next weekend Bates will compete in the John Thomas Terrier Classic at Boston University on Friday and Saturday, as well as at the USM Invitational on Saturday.