Endicott upsets No. 13 women's lax, 11-10

LEWISTON, Maine -- Siri Mason's free-position goal with 39 seconds left completed a game-ending 6-0 run and an 11-10 come-from-behind victory for Endicott College over the No. 13 nationally ranked Bates women's lacrosse team on Wednesday at Garcelon Field.

Bates (6-2) saw its five-game winning streak snapped, despite three goals apiece from seniors Wally Pierce (Weston, Mass.) and Blair Shrewsbury (Boxford, Mass.). Pierce also had three ground balls and tied senior SooHee Yoon (Lexington, Mass.) for the team lead with five draw controls. 

Mason finished with a game-high four goals and also led the Gulls (4-1) with three ground balls and three caused turnovers. Rachel Campos added three goals and a game-high seven draw controls. Callie Murphy scored once and assisted on three goals.

Campos got the scoring started with a free-position shot 2:09 into the contest.

The Bobcats evened the game when sophomore Moriah Greenstein (Glenmont, N.Y.) hit Pierce for a quick finish from behind the net, after senior Bridget Meedzan (Ipswich, Mass.) forced an Endicott turnover.

Endicott's Murphy regained the lead for the Gulls when she got a step on her defender on the wing and drove uncontested against Bates sophomore goalie Hannah Jeffrey (Greenwich, Conn.).

Bates junior Emma Getsinger (Darien, Conn.) evened the game at 2-2 with an 8-meter shot of her own with 20:02 left in the half. Then a bomb of a clearing pass from Jeffrey to junior Aly Dowey (Pound Ridge, N.Y.) led to a fast-break goal by Shrewsbury for Bates' first lead of the game, at 3-2, with 17:17 left.

Campos evened the game again, however, at 3-3 with 14:23 to go, driving hard against two Bates defenders before finishing impressively.

First-year Sydney Cowles (Wayne, Pa.) hit Bates junior Kathy Yannopoulos (Simsbury, Conn.) in stride for a 4-3 lead, and Pierce's unassisted tally following an Endicott yellow card widened the lead to 5-3. Mason answered with her first goal of the game, assisted by Meghan Lennnon with 7:58 left in the period. But Bates reestablished a two-goal edge  when senior defender Cat Dioli's (Ipswich, Mass.) run ended with a free-position attempt and goal, the first of her career, with 5:36 to go for a 6-4 lead.

Entering the second half with a 7-4 deficit to overcome, Endicott showed it still meant business by leading off the period with a Murphy-assisted tally by Mason 1:52 into the period. 

Pierce, however, responded seconds later, controlling the ensuing draw and weaving down the field for an unassisted goal to reclaim the three-goal edge.

Bates' lead then ballooned to a game-high five goals, at 10-5, with back-to-back goals by Shrewsbury at the 22:23 and 20:00 marks of the half. 

Lennon began Endicott's comeback with an unassisted goal with 15:40 to go, closing the gap to 10-6. Bates won the ensuing draw, but turned the ball over on a free-position opportunity, and Endicott counter-attacked and made it 10-7 as Murphy found Emily Whitney with 11:41 left.

Campos won the next two draws for the Gulls, and both wins translated into goals. Kate Tierney scored unassisted with 10:03 remaining, and Endicott finished off a lengthy possession with Mason one-timing a pass by Murphy past Jeffrey to close the gap to 10-9, prompting a Bates timeout with 8:50 left in the game.

After a Bates foul just outside the 8-meter zone, Campos made a strong solo drive through the Bates defense and scored to tie the game at 10-10 with 2:20 left, knotting the game for the first time since 3-3.

Yoon won the ensuing draw for Bates, but Endicott's Chelsea Burke forced a Bobcat turnover. The Gulls cleared the ball, and Mason was then awarded the deciding free-position attempt with 41 seconds remaining in the game.

Bates returns to NESCAC play on Saturday at noon, to face No. 19 Williams, in a game moved to Smith College in Northampton, Mass., because of Williams' home field conditions. Endicott next plays at Roger Williams in a Commonwealth Coast Conference game Saturday at 3:30pm. 

Ryan Socolow made four saves for Endicott, while Bates goalie Hannah Jeffrey had three stops.