BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The Bates women's tennis team fell on the road to No. 4 nationally ranked Bowdoin by a score of 9-0 Sunday at the Farley Field House.
Bates (3-9, 1-3 NESCAC) gave the Polar Bears (9-1, 3-0 NESCAC) all they could handle at No. 1 doubles thanks to the team of sophomore Bella Stone (Concord, Mass.) and junior Maisie Silverman (Brunswick, Maine). Stone and Silverman took on the top Bowdoin team of Joulia Likhanskaia and Sam Stalder, coming up just short by a count of 8-4.
The Bobcats had less success at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, falling by scores of 8-1 and 8-0 respectively.
In singles play, senior Elizabeth Erbafina (Sudbury, Mass.) acquitted herself well in a tough 6-2, 6-3 loss to Stalder at No. 2 singles.
Fellow senior Olivia Voccola (Falmouth, Maine) also played well in a 6-1, 6-2 defeat at the hands of Sasa Jovanovic at No. 6 singles.
Bates looks for their second NESCAC win this Saturday when they visit Amherst for 4:00 p.m. match.
No. 4 Bowdoin 9, Bates 0
April 2, 2017 at Brunswick, Maine
1. Joulia Likhanskaia / Sam Stalder (BOW) def. Maisie Silverman / Bella Stone (BATES) 8-4
2. Pilar Giffenig / Tess Trinka (BOW) def. Elizabeth Erbafina/Isabelle Rovinski (BATES) 8-1
3. Tasha Christ / Sasa Jovanovic (BOW) def. Lauren Hernandez / Kate Rosenthal (BATES) 8-0
1. Likhanskaia (BOW) def. Silverman (BATES) 6-0, 6-1
2. Stalder (BOW) def. Erbafina (BATES) 6-2, 6-3
3. Trinka (BOW) def. Stone (BATES) 6-0, 6-0
4. Christ (BOW) def. Rovinski (BATES) 6-1, 6-0
5. Giffenig (BOW) def. Rosenthal (BATES) 6-1, 6-0
6. Jovanovic (BOW) def. Olivia Voccola (BATES) 6-1, 6-2