Five different Bobcats score in field hockey's 5-2 win over Wesleyan

Junior Victoria McGee scored the eventual game-winning goal in the Bates field hockey team's 5-2 win over Wesleyan on Saturday, September 22, 2018. (Phyllis Graber Jensen/Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates field hockey team scored three unanswered goals in the second half to run away and defeat visiting Wesleyan by a count of 5-2 Saturday afternoon on Campus Ave. Field. 

Five different Bobcats (1-4, 1-3 NESCAC) tallied goals for Bates in the win. It's the most goals in a NESCAC contest for the Bates field hockey team since the Bobcats scored five against Amherst in 2007.

With the score tied at two in the 55th minute, the Bobcats earned a penalty corner. Senior Emma Patterson (Denver, Colo.) took the corner for Bates and fed the ball to junior Victoria McGee (Scarsdale, N.Y.) on the left side of the shooting area. She passed it across the perimeter to junior captain Grace Fitzgerald (Larchmont, N.Y.) who tried to feed it down low to senior Taylor Lough (Little Compton, R.I.). Wesleyan keeper Delaney Wood charged and was able to poke the ball away but it went right to McGee. McGee bounced the shot in for her third goal of the season, the eventual game-winner for Bates.

In the 63rd minute, Lough gave the Bobcats their fourth goal of the game. She charged down the far sideline before passing the ball to first-year Riley Burns (Sterling, Mass.) who immediately flicked it into the center of the offensive zone. Fitzgerald was able to take it away from a Wesleyan defender and get the ball to Patterson. Patterson rolled the ball toward the goal where Lough was waiting. It deflected off the keeper to Lough and she scored off the rebound, doing a somersault in the process, for her first tally of the season and the 21st of her career. 

Burns capped off the scoring in the 67th minute. She already had the ball on the perimeter when the Cardinals were whistled for a foul. On the quick restart, no one picked up Burns. She took two steps in and fired from distance, burying the shot in the back-left corner of the cage for her second goal of the season and her first in NESCAC action. 

The Bobcats never trailed in the contest, striking just 1:13 into the game when Fitzgerald connected with first-year Bridget Tweedie (Brownfield, Maine) for her second goal of the season. The Cardinals (3-3, 0-2 NESCAC) wasted no time responding, with Nikki Gerjarusak charging down the field and scoring in the third minute of action to even the score at one. 

In the 20th minute, the Bobcats took the lead for the second time. Burns charged hard into the offensive zone and had the ball poked away by Wood. The ball went right to Patterson, who scored by flipping the ball up and into the right side of the cage for her second goal of the year and the fifth of her career. 

Bates led 2-1 at halftime but the Cardinals knotted things at two in the 41st minute. They earned a penalty corner and Rachel Pomerantz delivered a pass to Olivia Baglieri. Baglieri fired a shot on goal that Gerjarusak deflected in for her second score of the afternoon. 

The game remain tied for the next 14 minutes before McGee's goal gave Bates the lead for good.

The win marks Bates' fourth straight against Wesleyan. Bates outshot the Cardinals 22-6 on the afternoon. First-year goalkeeper Ellie Bauer (Denver, Colo.) made three saves and earned the first win of her collegiate career. Bates also earned eight penalty corners to Wesleyan's four.

Bates is back in action Sunday at noon when the Bobcats host the Williams College Ephs.