Second-half run powers Maine Maritime past men's basketball

First-year forward Andrew Snoddy scored 17 points and grabbed five rebounds to lead Bates in a 63-52 loss at Maine Maritime Academy on Nov. 18, 2018. (File photo by Phyllis Graber Jensen/Bates College)

CASTINE, Maine -- Maine Maritime Academy trailed with under 10 minutes left in regulation, but a late 20-0 run powered the Mariners to defeat the Bates men's basketball team 63-52 in a non-conference game Sunday afternoon.

The host Mariners (3-2) outrebounded the Bobcats (0-2) 41-24, including a 24-12 margin in the second half. They also made 19-of-24 free throws while Bates was held to 6-of-10 at the line.

First-year forward Andrew Snoddy (Stow, Mass.) led Bates with 17 points off the bench, to go with five rebounds and three steals. Junior Jeff Spellman (Boston, Mass.) scored 11 points with three assists and two steals.

MMA starters scored 57 of the team's 62 points, led by Adam Richardson's 23. Richardson added nine rebounds, four assists, four steals and two blocked shots. Nicholas DePatsy added 12 points and DeMerrill Levy chipped in with 10 points and six rebounds. Kimani Anderson contributed a game-high 10 rebounds, while also tallying eight points and an assist.

Richardson made a 3-pointer in the opening minute to give the Mariners the early lead. Bates tied the game 13-13 midway through the half on a steal and layup by Snoddy. MMA scored seven straight, capped by a Nicholas DePatsy three, for a 20-13 lead.

But Bates closed out the final five minutes of the half outscoring MMA 14-5. Spellman got the run started with a three-point play, going coast to coast off his own defensive rebound. Spellman fed first-year center Kenny Aruwajoye (Owo, Nigeria) for a layup, and junior Nick Gilpin (Hampden, Maine) made a steal and fed senior Max Hummel (Glastonbury, Conn.) for another layup to tie the game at 20. Bates took its first lead at 22-20 as Spellman made a steal and fed senior Brandon Galloway (Fort Washington, Md.) for a layup.

The Mariners' Riley Jorgenson returned the lead to the hosts with a layup and a three, but a pair of steals by Galloway led to back-to-back Bates hoops, a Spellman layup and a three by Snoddy, to close out the first-half scoring.

A strong start to the second half saw the Bobcats extend their lead to 35-27, on a layup and three by Gilpin followed by a Hummel three at the 16:31 mark. A steal and a layup by Spellman with 11:01 left in regulation put Bates ahead 39-34.

Richardson made a pair of free throws at 10:46 and converted a three-point play at 9:55 to tie the game at 39, starting MMA's run of 20 unanswered points, which took the Mariners from a 39-34 deficit to a 54-39 lead with 4:16 to go. Richardson scored 10 points in the run, while DeMerrill Levy made a pair of jump shots, Andrew Liebert contributed three free throws and DePatsy added a three.

Snoddy made two free throws at the 3:50 mark to end the run, but Bates still trailed by 13. The Bobcats twice cut the lead to 10 but could get no closer.

Bates will host the University of Southern Maine on Tuesday at 7:30pm, following a women's basketball game between the same schools at 5:30pm.