Husson pulls off second-half comeback, tops men's basketball 80-78

First-year Andrew Snoddy scored 11 points on 5-7 shooting and pulled down six rebounds on Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at Husson. (File photo by Phyllis Graber Jensen/Bates College)

BANGOR, Maine -- The Bates men's basketball team led by as many as 13 points but the Husson University Eagles rallied to defeat the Bobcats by a score of 80-78 Tuesday night. 

Junior Jeff Spellman (Boston, Mass.) paced the Bobcats (2-5) with 21 points on 8-16 shooting. He also grabbed six rebounds and dished out six assists. Senior captain Nick Lynch (Westford, Mass.) recorded a double-double with 10 points and 11 rebounds. Junior Nick Gilpin (Hampden, Maine) matched his career-high with 15 points; he also recorded five assists. 

Brett Cunningham paced the Eagles (6-1) with 24 points on 8-12 shooting. DJ Bussey added 16 points and Justin Martin recorded a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds. 

Despite the Eagles' comeback, the Bobcats had a chance to win the game at the buzzer. Junior Kody Greenhalgh (Warwick, R.I.) launched a three that rimmed off and Husson hung on for the win over Bates.

The Bobcats led 27-25 with 8:34 remaining in the first half. Then they went on a 13-2 run to open up a 40-27 advantage with 4:54 left on a Lynch layup. But the Eagles answered with a 10-0 run of their own, culminating in a Bussey three with 2:13 left in the half. 

The teams traded buckets before Gilpin hit a three and Cunningham made a layup to make the score 45-41 in favor of Bates. Then Gilpin hit another three at the first-half buzzer to give the Bobcats a 48-41 halftime lead.

Spellman drilled a three of his own with 15:07 to go in the game, putting the Bobcats up 59-48. The Eagles went on a 6-0 run before first-year Andrew Snoddy (Stow, Mass.) answered with a three with 11:27 to go, putting Bates ahead 62-54. Snoddy turned in an efficient performance, scoring 11 points on 5-7 shooting. He also finished with six rebounds.

Cunningham answered with a three of his own and Husson started to chip away at the Bates lead. 

Husson eventually went ahead by a score of 70-69 with 4:52 remaining on a Justice Kendall layup. Kendall followed that up with back-to-back jumpers to put Husson up five. 

With 1:18 to go in the game, Gilpin converted an old fashioned three-point play to make the score 78-76 in favor of Husson. Cunningham was on the ball yet again though for the Eagles, answering with a jumper to put Husson up four with 47 seconds left.

Gilpin sank two free throws on the other end to put Bates back within two. Then Kendall missed a three but Justin Thompson grabbed the offensive rebound and got fouled with nine seconds left. He missed the front end of the one-and-one and Snoddy grabbed the rebound. He got fouled, setting Bates up for one last chance but Greenhalgh's three was just off the mark.

The Bobcats look to get back on the winning track when they host Bowdoin Thursday at 7pm in non-conference action.