Bakken scores in final minute, gives men's soccer a 1-0 double overtime win over Thomas College

Sophomore Peder Bakken scored the game-winning goal in double overtime to propel Bates to a 1-0 win over Thomas College on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at Garcelon Field. (File photo by Russ Dillingham for Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- Sophomore Peder Bakken scored with just 21 seconds left in double overtime to give the Bates men's soccer team a dramatic 1-0 victory over the visiting Thomas College Terriers Wednesday night at Garcelon Field. 

With 45 seconds remaining in the second overtime, the Terriers' Tevin Reid made a move toward the goal but junior Sam Huebschmann (Lynnfield, Mass.) stole the ball and passed it ahead to midfield. The Bobcats got the ball to senior Nate Merchant (Los Angeles, Calif.) and he drove to the near corner before delivering a cross into traffic that junior Morgan Dewdney (Meriden, N.H.) managed to redirect behind to Bakken (Seattle, Wash.) despite colliding with a Thomas defender in the process. 

Bakken took one step to avoid a charging defender and fired from eight yards out, burying the ball in the back left corner of the net for his third goal of the season and the first game-winner of his career.  

The Bobcats (5-3-2) out-shot the Terriers (6-7-1) by a count of 29-10 on the evening but many of their shots got blocked or missed wide. However, there were a number of opportunities before Bakken's game-winner.

In the 36th minute, Bakken drove past the defenders and fired a shot off the post. He finished the night with five shots, three on goal. Thomas keeper Jonathan Dutka made three saves in the first half and the Bobcats did not score despite taking 15 shots in the period.

Despite the scoreless match, both teams changed goalkeepers at halftime. Junior Robbie Montanaro (Belmont, Mass.) started for Bates and made four saves in the first half. But sophomore Owen Lindenfeldar (Pennington, N.J.) played the entire second half for the Bobcats, making two key saves late in the period. Meanwhile the Terriers brought in John Villanueva, who played the remainder of the match. 

The Bobcats threatened a few times in the second half, with sophomore Eric Opoku (Accra, Ghana) delivering a sharp shot in the 60th minute that Villanueva managed to deflect off the cross bar and back into his hands.       

Then in the 62nd minute, sophomore Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) leaped for a header off a corner kick that Villanueva corralled. 

With a minute to go in regulation, the Terriers' Princiel Kunieki ripped a shot with a clean look at the net, but Lindenfeldar made an outstanding leaping save, tipping the ball over the goal. On the ensuing corner kick, Lindenfeldar made another nice stop on a shot attempt from Shammah Gahomera.

Montanaro returned at the start of overtime to play in goal for the remainder of the match for Bates. Neither he nor Villanueva got tested in the first overtime period, as neither team recorded a shot on goal.

In the second overtime, Huebschmann missed wide on a header in the 103rd minute, then got denied by Villanueva in the 107th minute on another header opportunity, with Villanueva tipping the ball over the net.

But in the 110th minute of action, Bakken sent the crowd home happy.

The Bobcats are back in action Saturday at 3:00 p.m. when they host Tufts on Russell Street Field.