Men’s soccer uses four second half goals to blank Mariners

Senior Ben Lyons scored his second goal of the season and the fourth of career on Wednesday, October 3, 2018 in the Bobcats' 4-0 win at Maine Maritime. (File photo by Samuel Mironko for Bates College)

CASTINE, Maine -- The Bates men's soccer team used four second half goals to take down Maine Maritime Academy 4-0 in a non-conference game played Wednesday night on the Mariners' Ritchie Field.

Four different players scored for the Bobcats, who improve to 6-3 this season. Maine Maritime falls to 4-5-1.

The Bobcats outshot the Mariners 13-4 in the first half and had a number of just missed scoring chances, including a shot from right in front by junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) after a cross from junior Peder Bakken (Seattle, Wash.), that the Mariner goalie had to dive to his left to push just outside the post.

After the scoreless first half, it was Bakken who broke through for the Bobcats sending home a penalty kick in the 48th minute. Bakken has scored a goal in each of the last three games and now leads Bates with 11 points on four goals and three assists this year.

Just under 10 minutes later, senior Ben Lyons (San Rafael, Calif.) gave Bates a 2-0 lead with a header goal. It was his second goal this year. The Bobcats continued to pile it one with two more goals late in the second half. At the 63 minute mark, senior Drew Parsons (Farmington, Maine) drilled a shot into the top right corner for his first goal this fall. Junior Austin Sansone (New York, N.Y.) capped the scoring in the 71st minute. Junior Eric Opoku (Accra, Ghana) blasted a shot on goal that was saved by the Mariners' keeper, but Sansone was there to fire the rebound into the back of the net for his second goal this season.

"The game was certainly a tail of two halves," Bates assistant coach Josh Thornton said. "The first half we were a little slow in front of goal and missed a few golden opportunities that we really shouldn't have. Credit to MMA who had some great chances to score in the first half. We were a lot sharper in the second half and managed to hit a few early goals to gain some confidence in the final third."

Bates finished with a 29-6 advantage in shots. The Mariners took four corners, while the Bobcats earned two.

Sophomore David Goodstein (Bethesda, Md.) played the opening 75:23 in goal for Bates and made two saves. Junior Owen Lindenfeldar (Pennington, N.J.) came in for the final 14:37. Andrew Coleman played all 90 minutes in goal for the Mariners and finished with 12 saves.

"I was pleased to see that we stayed defensively rigid until the end of the game for the shutout too," Thornton said. "The team is progressing game by game and coach Sheikh is certainly getting the best out of the players."

The Bobcats return to NESCAC action on Saturday, Oct. 6, when they host conference-leading Connecticut College on Russell Street Field at 2 pm during Back to Bates Weekend.