REDLANDS, Calif. -- The No. 21 Bates men's tennis team won two of the three doubles matches and prevailed at No. 1 and No. 2 singles in a tight 5-4 loss to No. 15 Redlands Saturday afternoon.
The combination of Christopher Ellis '17 (Shrewsbury, Mass) and Ben Rosen '18 (Port Washington, N.Y.) took care of business at No. 1 doubles, defeating Joey Dulle and Chase Lipscomb 8-4. Fergus Scott '18 (Wellington, New Zealand) and Patrick Ordway '17 (Falmouth, Maine) were victorious at No. 2 doubles by a score of 8-6 over Jake Ly and Taylor Hunt.
Bates (0-3) could not get the doubles sweep though against Redlands (5-0). Parker Wilson and Sawyer Patterson were able to edge the Bobcats' Josh Quijano '19 (Los Angeles, Calif.) and Josh Leiner '18 (Baltimore, Md.) at No. 3 doubles 9-7. Quijano lost another heartbreaker at No. 5 singles, falling to Hunt 7-6, 7-6.
The Bobcats were victorious at No. 1 singles with Ellis defeating Dulie 3-6, 6-3, 10-4. Rosen won at No. 2 singles as well, defeating Lipscomb 6-3, 7-6.
But the other singles matches went Redlands' way as Bates came up just short.
The men's tennis team is in action Friday, March 4 as they host Babson at 4:00 p.m.
Redlands 5, Bates 4
Feb. 27, 2016 at Redlands, Calif. (Verdieck Courts)
1. Christopher Ellis/Ben Rosen (B) def. Joey Dulle/Chase Lipscomb (R), 8-4
2. Fergus Scott/Patrick Ordway (B) def. Jake Ly/Taylor Hunt (R), 8-6
3. Parker Wilson/Sawyer Patterson (R) def. Josh Quijano/Josh Leiner (B), 9-7
1. Ellis (B) def. Dulle (R) 3-6, 6-3, 10-4
2. Rosen (B) def. Lipscomb (R) 6-3, 7-6
3. Bryant Johnson (R) def. Scott (B) 6-4, 6-1
4. Wilson (R) def. Brent Feldman (B) 6-0, 6-0
5. Hunt (R) def. Quijano (B) 7-6, 7-6
6. Ly (R) def. Leiner (B) 7-6, 6-1