MEDFORD, Mass. -- The No. 8 nationally ranked Bates men's track and field team opened the 2013 indoor season by claiming first place out of 10 teams at the Tufts Invitational. The Bobcats scored 147 points, beating out Division II UMass-Lowell for the top spot by 17 points. Tufts (99), Worcester State (88.5) and Amherst (79) completed the top five teams.
Six-time All-American and two-time NCAA champion David Pless (Atlanta, Ga.) started out in outstanding form, winning the shot put in an astronomical 17.75 meters, and capturing first place as well in the weight throw (17.65 meters).
Sophomore Sean Enos (Lynnfield, Mass.) moved into second place on Bates' all-time performance list in the indoor shot put, trailing only Pless, with his second-place distance of 16.85 meters. Enos was also fourth in the weight throw at 16.22 meters.
Senior James LePage (Cumberland, Maine) finished first in the 800 meters to post Bates' other event win for the day, in a time of 1:55.22. Sophomore John Stansel (Newburyport, Mass.) was fourth in 1:58.90.
- Senior Anthony Haeuser (South Portland, Maine) and David Hardison (South Portland, Maine) came in second and third, respectively, in the 60-meter hurdles, in 8.67 and 8.74 seconds.
- Junior Tully Hannan (West Hartford, Conn.) was second in the mile at 4:18.80 and seventh in the 1,000 at 2:37.54.
- Sophomore Eric Wainman (Glastonbury, Conn.) was third in the high jump at 1.91 meters.
- Junior Michael Martin (Slatersville, R.I.) was third in the 3,000, at 8:43.40.
- Junior John Wisener (Ridgewood, N.J.) was third in the pole vault (4.25 meters).
- Sophomore Isaiah Spofford (Waterville, Maine) took fourth place in the 400, at 53.01.
- Junior Mark McCauley (Cumberland, Maine) entered Bates' top 10 all-time performances list in the 600 meters at No. 6, finishing fourth in 1:24.51.
Bates finished third in all three relay races. In the 4x200, first-year Joaquin Espinosa (Cumbaya, Ecuador), sophomore Alfred Russo (Garden City, N.Y.), first-year William Cleaves (South Portland, Maine) and first-year Detmer Kremer (Nij Beets, Netherlands) finished in 1:45.54. Hardison, McCauley, Wainman and LePage completed the 4x400 in 3:29.06, and first-year Sam Reilly (Atlanta, Ga.), first-year Greg Heller (Walla Walla, Wash.), sophomore Michael Creedon (Medfield, Mass.) and senior Myles Black-Ingersoll (Concord, N.H.) finished in 8:14.78.
Bates has the Bates Pentathlon on Friday at 3pm, followed by the Bates Invitational on Saturday at 12pm in Merrill Gym.