BRUNSWICK, Maine – Bates College men's track and field finished first out of five schools to win its 12th Maine State Indoor Championship on Saturday night inside Farley Field House at Bowdoin College.
At the 46th edition of the event, the Bobcats totaled 174 points to finish ahead of host Bowdoin (147), third-place University of Southern Maine (122), fourth-place Colby College (107), and St. Joseph's College of Maine (6). Among currently competing schools, Bates holds the most titles with the Polar Bears following with 10 championships.
The Bobcats won six of the 18 events scored to help propel them to the victory.
Junior thrower Sean Enos (Lynnfield, Mass.) won the shot put with a heave of 57-04.75, his personal record, as Bates swept the top three spots in the discipline. Sophomore Nick Margitza (Waterville, Maine) took second with a 47-09.75, and classmate Rudy Pandora (Lewiston, Maine) came in third with a throw of 46-08.75. Enos's mark improved his standing as the No. 2 indoor shot-putter in team history, behind only three-time national champion David Pless '13. He is also ranked first in Division III in the event.
Enos also captured an event win in the weight throw with a toss of 60-05.75 while Margitza finished third with a 49-01.00. Enos came in second in both events last year, trailing only Pless.
Senior John Wisener (Ridgewood, N.J.) took the pole vault for the second year in a row with a vault of 14-07.25.
Other event winners and top-three performers for the Bobcats included:
- Junior Mark McCauley (Cumberland, Maine) won the 800 meter run behind a time of 1:56.04.
- Senior Noah Graboys (Glencoe, Ill.) won the 3000 meter run in 8:40.20. He crossed the finish second in the 1 mile run, clocking in at 4:18.72 while junior John Stansel (Newburyport, Mass.) finished third in the mile (4:21.78).
- Senior Jarret McKallagat (Atkinson, N.H.) won the 60 meter hurdles behind a time of 8.47.
- First-year Patrick Griffin (Harvard, Mass.) seized second in the 600 meter run (1:23.96).
- Senior Michael Martin (Slatersville, R.I.) grabbed second in the 5000 meter run with a 15:29.07.
- Senior Ben Levy (Belmont, Mass.) came in third in the 200 meter dash with a 23.04 and finished third in the 400 meter dash with a 50.56.
- Junior Eric Wainman (Glastonbury, Conn.) came in third in the high jump on a 6-00.00.
Next, Bates competes at the Valentine Classic at Boston University on Feb. 8.