WESTFIELD, Mass. – Junior Sean Enos and sophomore Rudy Pandora each scored points in the shot put as Bates College men's track and field wrapped up competition at the Open New England Championships on Saturday at Westfield State University.
Enos (Lynnfield, Mass.) took third place in the meet with a top heave of 52-11.00 to pick up six points while Pandora (Lewiston, Maine) gained eighth place and one point with a personal-best toss of 50-03.25.
As a team, the Bobcats scored 17 points, finishing in a tie for 18th place out of 38 scoring teams.
Other highlights for Bates on the final day of competition included:
- Senior Michael Martin (Slatersville, R.I.) came in fourth place in the steeplechase, clocking in at 9:19.04 and snagging four points.
- Senior John Wisener (Ridgewood, N.J.) placed 11th in the pole vault with a mark of 14-11.00.
- Junior Mark McCauley (Cumberland, Maine) crossed the finish in 1:52.14 for 12th-place in the 800 meters.
- The quartet of senior Noah Graboys (Glencoe, Ill.), first-year Michael Horowicz (Montclair, N.J.), senior Logan Greenblatt (South Berwick, Maine), and sophomore Gregg Heller (Walla Walla, Wash.) notched a time of 7:52.99 in the 4x800-meter relay for 12th place.
- The men's 4x400 relay of first-year Patrick Griffin (Harvard, Mass.), senior Adam Spencer (Wellesley, Mass.), sophomore Jia-Ahn Pan (Kuching, Malaysia), and senior Ben Levy (Belmont, Mass.) posted their fastest time of the year at 3:20.21, coming in 19th place.
Next, Bates competes in the ECAC Division III Outdoor Championships in Troy, N.Y., from May 15-16.
Bates Saturday Schedule/Results:
Discus – Noon – Rudy Pandora (121-02, 21st), Sean Enos (Fouled Out)
Pole Vault – Noon – John Wisener – 14-11.00 (11th)
Steeplechase – Noon – Michael Martin – 9:19.04 (4th, five points)
1500 Meters – 1:05 p.m. – John Stansel – 3:54.23 (3:54.23)
800 Meters – 2:20 p.m. – Mark McCauley – 1:52.14 (12th)
Shot Put – 2:30 p.m. – Sean Enos (52-11.00, 3rd, six points), Rudy Pandora (50-03.25, 8th, one point), Nick Margitza (39-11.25, 21st)
4x800-Meter Relay – 3:55 p.m. – Noah Graboys, Michael Horowicz, Logan Greenblatt, Gregg Heller – 7:52.99 (12th)
4x400-Meter Relay – 4:30 p.m. – Patrick Griffin, Adam Spencer, Jia-Ahn Pan, Ben Levy – 3:20.21 (19th)
Enos threw a personal-best 194-02 in the hammer throw to lead Bates College men's track and field at day two of the Open New England Championships at Westfield State University on Friday.
Enos moved into third place on Bates' all-time list on the event, just behind Chris Murtagh '11 (197-02) and one spot ahead of Rich McNeil '10 (193-07). The St. John's Prep product scored all five of Bates' points on the first day of the meet with a fourth-place finish in the hammer.
Senior Jarret McKallagat (Atkinson, N.H,) ran a 14.81 in the 110-meter hurdle trials in a slight headwind, coming in 10th place – just two spots shy of qualifying for the finals.
First-year Colin Kraft (Northborough, Mass.) posted an 11.19 in the 100 meter trials for 14th place and recorded a time of 22.35 in the 200 meter trials to come in a tie for 13th place.
After two days of competition at the championships, Bates sat in 18th out of 24 scoring teams.
Bates Friday Schedule/Results:
Hammer Throw – 2:00 p.m. – Sean Enos – 194-02 (4th, 5 points)
110 High Hurdle Trials – 2:00 p.m. – Jarret McKallagat (14.81, 10th), Eric Wainman (15.65, 30th)
400 Meter Trials – 2:35 p.m. – Ben Levy – 51.64 (30th)
100 Meter Trials – 3:00 p.m. – Colin Kraft – 11.19 (14th)
200 Meter Trials – 4:10 p.m. – Colin Kraft – 22.35 (t-13th)