LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team opened the 2018 indoor season Saturday by hosting Colby and perennial New England power MIT in a tri-meet in Merrill Gymnasium. The Bobcats won five of 17 events on the day and finished second in team scoring.
With the top four athletes scoring team points on a 5-3-2-1 basis, MIT scored 100 points, followed by Bates with 62 and Colby with 19.
Senior two-time All-American Adedire Fakorede (Newark, N.J.) won both the shot put and weight throw with solid marks of 45-7.25 and 58-8, respectively. Junior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) won the 600-meter run in 1:26.21, senior captain Rob Flynn (Bedford, N.H.) won the 1,000-meter run (2:36.41), and senior captain Jack Kiely (Severna Park, Md.) won the mile in 4:24.55.
Other scoring performances for Bates on the day included:
- Senior Zach Magin (West Hartford, Conn.) was second in the 3,000 meters (8:52.26), while junior Henry Colt (Whatley, Mass.) was third (8:57.32).
- Sophomore Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) was second in the 60-meter hurdles (9.02), while first-year Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) was third (9.15) and senior Kawai Marin (Reading, Mass.) was fourth (9.20)
- Senior Garrett Anderson (Raleigh, N.C.) was second in the pole vault (13-11.25).
- Junior Michael Somma (Colts Neck, N.J.) placed third in the 800 meters (2:04.33), while Kiely finished fourth (2:06.26).
- In the 400-meter dash, junior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) placed second in 54.25 seconds, followed by first-year Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) in third (54.67) and sophomore Anas Reda (Casablanca, Morocco) fourth (57.29).
- Somma, Coyne, Frank Fusco and Flynn were second in the 4x400 relay (3:34.28).
- Senior Caleb Stotz (Pittsburgh, Pa.) was third in the long jump (19-6.75) and fourth in the triple jump (39-2.25).
- Junior Dan Marino (Marblehead, Mass.) took fourth place in the shot put (40-8.25).
- First-year Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.) placed fourth in the 600 meters (1:29.48).
- Junior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) was third in the weight throw (51-2.75) and junior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) was fourth (48-8).
Next Saturday, Bates will host the University of Maine, Bryant University and several Division III teams in the Bates Invitational, starting at 11am. Bates athletics legend David Pless '13, one of the top shot putters in the country, will also compete, as will former distance standout Rob Gomez '05, who drew national attention with his remarkable act of sportsmanship last summer at the Beach to Beacon 10K race.