GORHAM, Maine and BOSTON -- The Bates men's track and field team was split competing in two meets on Saturday, with a slew of impressive results from both the John Thomas Terrier Classic at Boston University and at the USM Invitational.
Despite competing with a split squad, Bates won the team scoring at the USM Invitational with 247.5 points, followed by Merrimack (161), USM (132.5) and Emmanuel (38).
Highlights from BU:
- Senior Rob Flynn (Bedford, N.H.) ran the 500-meter dash in a career-best 1:05.00, moving from fifth place to second place on Bates' all-time performance list in the event.
- Senior Adedire Fakorede (Newark, N.J.) was third best in a field of 33 athletes in the weight throw, with a top mark of 59-3.
- Senior Jack Kiely (Severna Park, Md.) ran the 800 meters in 1:55.57 while junior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) ran a time of 2:00.18.
- Junior Henry Colt (Whately, Mass.) led four Bobcats competing in the 3,000-meter run with a time of 8:42.81. Senior Ben Tonelli (Seattle, Wash.) was close behind in 8:43.41, followed by senior Stephen Rowe (Gambier, Ohio) in 8:48.97 and senior Matt Morris (Bethesda, Md.) in 8:57.30.
- Junior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) ran the 200-meter dash in 23.02 seconds
- On Friday night, Flynn, Corley, Fusco and Kiely ran the distance medley relay in 10:13.47.
Highlights from USM:
- Senior Garrett Anderson (Raleigh, N.C.) pole vaulted 14-11, matching his career indoor best mark established last week. Anderson has risen to a tie for fifth place on Bates' all-time indoor performance list with Jerome Bennett '09.
- Junior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) won the weight throw at 49-7.
- Junior Kawai Marin (Reading, Mass.) won the 55-meter hurdles in 8.08 seconds, his career-best at a seldom-run distance.
- First-year Milan Lemon (Plantation, Fla.) won the 55-meter dash with a finals time of 6.75 seconds.
- Sophomore Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) was second to Merrimack's Trevor Ciempa in the high jump, clearing the bar at 6-2. Kimpolo-Pene also placed third in the long jump (20-8.5.
- Senior David Dick (Ipswich, Mass.) was second to Anderson in the pole vault. Dick also matched his career-best mark established a week ago at 4.10 meters, or 13-5.25.
- First-year Ryan Giunta (Andover, Mass.) was second in the 55-meter dash at 6.84 seconds and third in the 200 meters (24.02).
- Sophomore James Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.) was second in the 3,000 meters (9:30.84).
- Senior Tom Endean (McLean, Va.) was third in the shot put (41-11.25) and third in the weight throw (46-11.5).
- Sophomore Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) was third in the pole vault at a career-best 12-5.5.
- Junior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) finished third in the 400-meter dash (54.00).
- First-year Volney Spalding (Alamo, Calif.) was third in the mile (4:39.10).
- Sophomore Jack McLarnon (Northborough, Mass.) was third in the 3,000 (9:33.08).
- Junior Ian Wax (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) took second place in the 800 meters in 2:07.29.
- First-year Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.) was first in the 1,000 meters (2:46.84).
- Junior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) finished second in the weight throw (48-9.5).
Bates will be the host team for the 50th Maine State Men's Indoor Championships, Saturday at 6pm in Merrill Gymnasium. The Bobcats claimed first place for the fourth time in five years one year ago.