CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- In what has become an annual ritual, the Bates men's track and field team opened the indoor season with a tri-meet against Colby and MIT, one of the few programs whose success the Bobcats could envy. The host Engineers won the team scoring as expected on Saturday, but the Bobcats made it close as the host and No. 4 nationally ranked Engineers outscored Bates 149-140. Colby finished third with 60 points.
"Great day for us today. By far our best effort in this meet ever," said 24th-year head coach Al Fereshetian. "Great energy and attitude all day."
Top-three event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) won the 60-meter sprint finals in 7.23 seconds. Corley also placed second in the 200 meters (23.30).
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) won the mile in 4:21.72; he also took second place in the 800 meters (2:00.84).
- Sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished first in the 400 meters (52.08 seconds).
- Junior captain Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) won the 60-meter hurdles in 9.06 seconds and placed second in the long jump (21-0.75).
- Sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.), first-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.), first-year John Mieszczanski (Chelmsford, Mass.) and senior captain Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) won the 4x800 relay in 8:17.10.
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) placed second in the weight throw (55-0.25) and third in the shot put (47-4.5), both personal records.
- Sophomore Ryan Giunta (Andover, Mass.) ran the fastest time of the day in 60-meter sprint trials, at 7.22 seconds, before finishing third in the finals (7.28). Giunta also placed third in the long jump (19-6.25).
- Mark Fusco placed second in the 600-meter run (1:26.76).
- Mieszczanski placed second in the 1,000 meters (2:36.19).
- First-year Liam Evans (Sauquoit, N.Y.) placed third in the 400 meters (54.42).
- Elkins placed third in the 800 meters (2:00.96).
- First-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) finished third in the 3,000 meters (8:5821).
- Nabritt, senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), Evans and Coyne placed second in the 4x400 relay (3:37.18).
- Sophomore Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) finished second in the 60-meter hurdles (9.27).
- Senior captain Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) placed third in the weight throw (49-3).
Bates will host the Bates Invitational next Saturday (Jan. 19), its lone home meet of the indoor season, against Division I University of Maine and Bryant University, along with Franklin Pierce, Keene State, St. Joseph's and Husson. The bulk of the meet will begin Saturday at noon, while the women's pentathlon and men's heptathlon will begin Friday at 4pm.