LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team nearly tripled the score of the second-place team, Division II Franklin Pierce, in taking first place out of five teams from Division II or III in the Bates Invitational on Saturday in Merrill Gymnasium.
Division I teams Maine and Bryant also competed at the meet, with their scoring separate by rule.
Bates won eight events en route to 253 points. Franklin Pierce was second (98), followed by Keene State (64), Husson (47 and St. Joseph's (43).
Top-two event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) captured first place in the shot put (47-9.75) and the weight throw (56-2).
- First-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.) won the 1,000-meter run in 2:37.99.
- First-year John Mieszczanski (Chelmsford, Mass.) led a 1-2-3-4 Bates sweep of the mile with a time of 4:26.54.
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) led a 1-2-3 Bates sweep in the 3,000 meters in 8:54.73.
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) won the 60-meter hurdles in 8.89 seconds.
- The 4x400 meter relay team of senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.), senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) and sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) crossed the finish line first in 3:30.74.
- The 4x800 relay team of sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.), first-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.), Elkins and Mieszczanski won with a time of 8:20.53.
- Sophomore Ryan Giunta (Andover, Mass.) took second place in the 200-meter dash (23.37) and third in the long jump (19-10.75).
- Senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) took second place in the 800 meters (2:01.98).
- First-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) placed second in the mile (4:29.25).
- First-year Nick Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) placed second in the 3,000 meters (9:12.48).
- Junior Jack McLarnon (Northborough, Mass.) finished second in the 5,000 meters (16:12.46).
- Sophomore Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) finished second in the 60-meter hurdles (9.11).
- Senior Dan Marino (Marblehead, Mass.) placed second in the shot put (41-4.25).
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) took second place in the weight throw (49-11.25) and fourth in the shot put (40-3.25).
- Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) scored 4,535 points in the heptathlon, finishing second in Divisions II/III to Southern Maine's Charles Moody.
The Bobcats will compete in the Terrier Classic at Boston University Jan. 25-26 and at the USM Invitational on Jan. 26.