GORHAM, Maine and BOSTON -- The Bates men's track and field team posted impressive results in two different meets on Saturday, with a crew of runners competing at the non-scoring Terrier Classic at Boston University and the rest of the team at the USM Invitational.
Bates won the USM Invitational among eight teams, scoring 174 points to 155 for runner-up Assumption. Southern Maine (122), Merrimack (88) and Husson (65) rounded out the top five teams.
Top-four performances from the USM Invitational included:
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) took first place in the long jump (20-9.75), placed second in the 55-meter hurdles (8.13), and placed fifth in the high jump (6-0.75).
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) led a 1-2-3-4 Bates sweep among 22 competitors in the weight throw, with a top mark of 57-3.75. Rex also won the shot put among 34 competitors, with a top mark of 49-7.25.
- Sophomore Alex Brovender (Boxford, Mass.) won the 3,000-meter run with a time of 9:15.62.
- Senior Michael Somma (Colts Neck, N.J.) took second place in the 600 meters (1:27.22).
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) placed second in the weight throw (50-0.75).
- Junior Jack McLarnon (Northborough, Mass.) placed second in the 3,000 meters (9:23.92).
- Junior Bryce O'Brien (Bristol, R.I.) claimed second place in the 1,000 meters (2:49.94).
- Senior Ian Wax (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) took third place in the 600 meters (1:30.15).
- Junior Zeke Smith (London, U.K.) took third place in the 1,000 meters (2:52.34).
- First-year Charlie Hansen (Washington, D.C.) placed third in the pole vault (12-11.5).
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) placed third in the weight throw (49-2.5).
- Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) took fourth place in the pole vault (12-11.5).
- Sophomore Milan Lemon (Plantation, Fla.) finished fourth in the 55-meter dash (6.79).
- First-year Max Bartley (Presque Isle, Maine) finished fourth in the mile (4:51.22).
- First-year Hayden Evans (Seattle, Wash.) placed fourth in the 3,000 meters (9:26.15).
- Senior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) placed fourth in the weight throw (45-7).
- Winning the distance medley relay among three teams were Wax, first-year Dieter Villegas (Gurnee, Ill.), Somma and O'Brien with a time of 11:51.33.
Highlights from the BU Terrier Classic included:
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) led four Bobcats running the mile at BU with a time of 4:15.61. First-year John Mieszczanski (Chelmsford, Mass.) finished in 4:23.70, followed by sophomore Jeremy Bennett (Windham, Maine) in 4:26.80 and first-year Nicholas Reznik (Bar Harbor, Maine) in 4:40.46.
- First-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.) ran the 800 meters in 1:59.42. Senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) was right behind him in 1:59.69, while sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.) finished in 2:01.36.
- Senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) ran the 400-meter dash in 51.54 seconds.
- Sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) ran the 400 meters in 51.88 seconds.
- Sophomore Ryan Giunta (Andover, Mass.) ran the 200-meter dash in 22.89 seconds.
- Senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) ran the 200 meters in 23.17 seconds.
- Bates ran three runners in the 5,000 meters, led by first-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) in 15:10.11, followed by senior Henry Colt (Whately, Mass.) in 15:10.69 and first-year Nicholas Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) in 15:44.36.
- Junior Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) ran the 3,000 meters in 8:44.58, while junior James Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.) finished in 8:57.46.
- Bates ran two 4x400 relay teams, led by the foursome of Corley, Mark Fusco, Giunta and Nabritt in 3:26.21.
The Bobcats will return to USM to compete in the Maine State Meet next Saturday, Feb. 2 at 6pm.