GORHAM, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team won the Maine State Men's Indoor Championships Saturday night at the University of Southern Maine, capturing their 15th state title in the 51-year history of the meet, and their fifth in the past seven years.
Bates won nine events en route to scoring 211 points, outdistancing runner-up Bowdoin (170) by 41. Southern Maine (127) was third, followed by Colby (36).
Top-five event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) won both the weight throw (59-9.5) and the shot put (49-0.75).
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) won both the mile (4:21.09) and the 800 meters (1:58.29).
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) won the state title in the high jump (6-2.75), took third place in the 55-meter hurdles (8.09 seconds), fourth place in the long jump (21-10.75) and fifth place in the triple jump (41-7).
- Junior James Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.) won the 5,000 meters in 15:15.67.
- Senior Henry Colt (Whately, Mass.) won the 3,000 meters in 8:47.85.
- Senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) won the 600 meters in 1:23.22.
- First-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.) won the 1,000 meters (2:38.98).
- Junior Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) placed second in the 5,000 (15:23.57).
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) placed second in the weight throw (50-10) and fifth in the shot put (41-10).
- Sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) took second place in the 400 meters (51.95).
- Sophomore Ryan Giunta (Andover, Mass.) finished second in the 200-meter dash (23.06).
- Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) placed third in the triple jump (44-2.5), fifth in the long jump (21-2.75) and fifth in the high jump (5-10.75).
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) placed third in the weight throw (49-7.25).
- First-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) placed third in the 3,000 meters (8:52.12).
- Senior Dan Marino (Marblehead, Mass.) took fourth place in the shot put (42-2.75).
- Senior Michael Somma (Colts Neck, N.J.) finished fourth in the 600 meters (1:26.36).
- Senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) placed fourth in the 200 meters (23.10).
- First-year Nicholas Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) placed fourth in the mile (4:25.39).
- Senior Ian Wax (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) placed fifth in the 600 meters (1:26.66).
- Sophomore Jeremy Bennett (Windham, Maine) placed third in the 1,000 meters (2:39.29) and fifth in the mile (4:26.13).
- Senior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) placed fifth in the weight throw (48-6).
- Winning the 4x400 relay in 3:28.87 were Corley, senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), Somma and Nabritt.
- Elkins, sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.), Wax and Mark Fusco placed second in the 4x800 relay (8:11.81).
Bates competes in the BU Valentine Invitational next Friday and Saturday.