BOSTON -- The Bates men's track and field team competed against athletes from all three NCAA divisions and beyond Saturday at Boston University's Valentine Invitational, with some outstanding marks recorded by the Bobcats.
Bates performances included:
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) ran the mile in 4:13.81, 0.43 seconds behind 10th place on the team's all-time performance list in the event. First-year Nicholas Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) followed in 4:24.56 and sophomore Jeremy Bennett (Windham, Maine) finished in 4:29.59.
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) notched a top mark of 45-10.5 in the shot put and 59-6.25 in the weight throw.
- Junior James Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.) ran the 3,000 meters in 8:38.72, while senior Henry Colt (Whately, Mass.) followed in 8:41.25.
- Junior Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) led five Bobcats who ran the 5,000 meters with his time of 15:10.44. He was followed by first-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) in 15:13.62, first-year Nicholas Reznik (Bar Harbor, Maine) in 15:47.27, sophomore Alex Brovender (Boxford, Mass.) in 15:52.84 and junior Jack McLarnon (Northborough, Mass.) in 15:54.82.
- The 4x400 relay team of senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), sophomore Ryan Giunta (Andover, Mass.) and sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished in 3:28.60.
- First-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.) ran the 1,000 meters in 2:32.96.
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) notched a top mark of 44-8.25 in the weight throw.
- Nabritt ran the 400-meter dash in 51.36 seconds.
- First-year Liam Evans (Sauquoit, N.Y.) ran the 400-meter dash in 52.48 seconds.
- Mark Fusco ran the 800 meters in 1:56.34.
- Sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.) ran the 800 meters in 2:00.43.
- Senior Ian Wax (Briarcliff Manor, N.Y.) ran the 800 meters in 2:01.20.
- Sophomore Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) ran the 500-meter dash in 1:12.12.
- Giunta led six Bobcats in the 200-meter dash with a time of 22.72 seconds. He was followed by senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) in 23.19, Frank Fusco and sophomore Milan Lemon (Plantation, Fla.) both in 23.36 seconds, first-year Ky Jenkins (Potomac, Md.) in 23.89 and senior Michael Bennett (York, Maine) in 24.04.
Bates travels to Bowdoin next Saturday to compete in the Maine State Open.