BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team won six events and recorded several other impressive performances Saturday at the Bowdoin Invitational, a non-scoring meet with Bowdoin, Colby, Wheaton (Mass.), Colby-Sawyer, Regis (Mass.), St. Joseph's, UMaine-Farmington and Unity.
Top-three event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) won the shot put (48-1.25) among 31 competitors and the weight throw (57-10.5) among 23 competitors.
- Senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) won the 600 meters (1:22.70) among 15 runners.
- First-year Nicholas Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) placed first in the 1,000 meters (2:37.70).
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) won the high jump (6-2.75).
- Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) placed second with a personal record in the high jump (6-0.75).
- Winning the distance medley relay in 10:38.71 were sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.), Mark Fusco, first-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.) and junior James Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.).
- Senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) placed second in the 200-meter dash (23.07).
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) took second place in the weight throw (51-8.5).
- Sophomore Ryan Giunta (Andover, Mass.) placed third in the 60-meter dash (7.21).
- Senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) placed third in the 400 meters (52.08).
- First-year Matthew Clayton (Wayland, Mass.) placed third in the 1,000 meters (2:45.99).
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) placed third in the weight throw (48-3.5).
- First-year Liam Evans (Sauquoit, N.Y.) scored 3,951 points in the heptathlon while his brother Garrett Evans scored 3,442. Liam Evans now ranks fifth on the program's all-time performance list in the event.
Bates competes in the New England Division III Indoor Championships, Friday and Saturday at MIT.