CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- Eight scoring performances in second-day action at the New England Division III Men's Indoor Track & Field Championships led to eighth place out of 23 scoring teams in the final standings Saturday at MIT.
With 31.5 team points, Bates edged Springfield (31) for eighth place at the meet.
Top-eight, point-scoring and All-New England performances by the Bobcats included:
- Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) took fourth place in the heptathlon with 4,580 points, 21 points above his previous best score. Donahue ranks 17th in Division III in the event.
- Senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) took fourth place in the 600 meters, in 1:23.24.
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) placed sixth in the shot put (47-11) and seventh in the weight throw (56-6.75).
- Junior James Jones (Colorado Springs, Colo.) placed seventh in the 3,000 meters (8:40.39).
- Bates placed seventh in the 4x400 relay, as senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.), senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), sophomore Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) and sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished the race in 3:27.81.
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) tied for seventh place in the high jump (6-2.75) and placed 17th in the long jump (20-2.5).
- First-year Liam Evans (Sauquoit, N.Y.) scored 4,082 points in the heptathlon to grab eighth place and All-New England honors. Evans moves into fifth place on Bates' all-time performance list in the event.
More notable performances by the Bobcats included:
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished ninth in the weight throw (52-5.25).
- Senior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) took 12th place in the weight throw (49-8.25).
- Sophomore Jeremy Bennett (Windham, Maine) placed 12th in the mile (4:26.41).
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) placed 15th in the mile (4:28.46).
- First-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) placed 16th in the 3,000 meters (8:49.71).
- First-year Nicholas Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) placed 17th in the mile (4:28.81).
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) placed 18th in the weight throw (47-9).
Bates will likely compete in some events at next Saturday's Tufts Final Qualifying Meet, before heading to the NCAA Division III Championships at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston March 8-9.