CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- The Bates men's track and field team opened the outdoor meet season Saturday at MIT, notching seven top-three individual performances and scoring fourth out of four teams against the host Engineers along with Tufts and RPI.
Top performances by the Bobcats included:
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) won the hammer throw (181-11) and was sixth in the shot put (45-0.25).
- Sophomore Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) took first place in the 400-meter hurdles, in 57.71 seconds.
- First-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) placed second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (9:36.95).
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) placed third in the hammer throw (161-9).
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) took third place in the javelin throw (174-5).
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) placed third in the 110-meter hurdles (16.07)
- Senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) took third place in the 200 meters (22.70).
- Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) finished fourth in the high jump (6-2.75) and seventh in the long jump (20-8).
- Senior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) placed fifth in the javelin throw (172-7), sixth in the hammer throw (148-7) and seventh in the discus (131-9).
- Sophomore Milan Lemon (Plantation, Fla.) placed fifth in the 100 meters (11.46).
- Sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) finished fifth in the 400 meters (51.12).
Bates scored 125 points, trailing MIT (190.5), Tufts (185) and RPI (150.5). The Bobcats will travel next weekend to the Silfen Invitational at Connecticut College on Friday for distance runners and multi-event athletes. Bates will also compete Saturday at the University of New Hampshire Wildcat Invitational.