NEW LONDON, Conn., and DURHAM, N.H. -- Bates sophomore John Rex had two big personal-best marks and placed first in the hammer throw, highlighting the Bobcat men's track and field team's many strong performances Saturday at the UNH Wildcat Invitational against Division I opponents New Hampshire and Maine.
The host Wildcats scored 157 points to win the team scoring, followed by Maine (118) and Bates (89).
On Friday and Saturday, five team members competed at Connecticut College's Silfen Invitational. Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) won the decathlon with a career-best 5,913 points, which is eighth-best in program history. Donahue's previous PR was 5,903 points at the 2018 Open New Englands. First-year Liam Evans (Sauquoit, N.Y.) finished fourth with 5,228 points.
Also competing at the Silfen Invitational, first-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) ran the 5,000 meters in 14:56.33, good for seventh place among 31 participants. Senior Henry Colt (Whately, Mass.) finished in 15:46.20. Senior Nico Johnson (Frederick, Md.) placed 10th out of 24 men in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, in 9:57.07.
Bates highlights from the UNH Wildcat Invitational included:
- Rex (Andover, Mass.) had a big personal best in the hammer throw, taking first place among 12 athletes with a top effort of 57.92 meters, or 190 feet. Exceeding his previous personal record of 181-11 from last week, Rex replaced former teammate Adedire Fakorede '18 in 10th place on Bates' all-time performance list in the hammer.
- Rex, this week's NESCAC Field Athlete of the Week, also placed second in the discus throw, outdistancing his previous best (130-9) by more than 12 feet, at 143-1. He additionally placed third in the shot put (46-5.25).
- Senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) placed second in the 100-meter dash (11.49)
- Bates sophomore Milan Lemon (Plantation, Fla.), Corley, junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) and sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) ran a strong second-place time of 44.06.
- Nabritt also took third place in the 200 meters (23.09) and fourth in the 100 meters (11.59).
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) placed third in the javelin throw (170-4).
- Sophomore Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) took third place in the 400-meter hurdles (58.07).
- First-year Nicholas Reznik (Bar Harbor, Maine) placed fourth in the 3,000 meters (9:15.66).
- Senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) placed fourth in both the 400 meters (53.07) and the 200 (23.52).
- Placing third in the 4x400 relay in 3:33.49 were senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), first-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.), sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.) and senior Michael Somma (Colts Neck, N.J.).
- Lemon finished fifth in the 100 meters (11.59).
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) was seventh out of 21 runners in the 1,500 meters (4:01.49).
Bates will next compete in the Maine State Men's Outdoor Championships, to be hosted by Bowdoin Saturday April 27.