BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The Bates men's track and field team nipped Bowdoin by four points to capture the team title at the 120th Maine State Men's Outdoor Track & Field Championships Saturday at Bowdoin.
Bates snapped Bowdoin's two-year run as state champions and won the meet for the 15th time in the past 18 years.
Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) captured the Frederick Tootel Memorial Most Valuable Field Athlete Award, after placing first in the hammer throw (182-2), discus throw (142-1) and shot put (47-2.25).
The Bobcats scored 233 points for first place, followed by the host Polar Bears (229), Southern Maine (120), Colby (15), Saint Joseph's (13) and UMaine-Farmington (4).
Additional top-five performances by the Bobcats included:
- Junior Brendan Donahue (Wolfeboro Falls, N.H.) won the 110-meter hurdles (15.91 seconds), placed second in the pole vault (13-2.25), placed third in the triple jump (43-10.5) and was fifth in the high jump (6-2.75)
- Senior Tyler Harrington (Haverhill, Mass.) won the javelin throw (179-9), placed second in the shot put (44-1.5), third in the hammer throw (145-1) and fifth in the discus (126-0).
- First-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) won the 5,000 meters (15:10.19) and placed second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase (10:09.30).
- Sophomore Elijah Coyne (Newtown, Pa.) won the 400-meter hurdles (57.31) and placed third in the 110 hurdles (16.49).
- Senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) won the 800-meter run (1:55.77).
- Senior Nico Johnson (Frederick, Md.) won the 3,000-meter steeplechase (9:58.05).
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) placed second in the 110-meter hurdles (16.36), third in the high jump (6-4.75) and fifth in the triple jump (40-9.75).
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) placed second in the discus throw (136-10), second in the javelin (173-9), and fifth in the hammer (140-5).
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) took second place in the hammer throw (157-10), fourth place in the discus (127-8), fifth in the shot put (42-3.25)
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) placed second in the 1,500 meters (3:59.57).
- Senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.) placed third in the 200 meters (22.88).
- Sophomore Alex Brovender (Boxford, Mass.) placed third in the 10,000 meters (32:44.44).
- Sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.) placed fourth in the 800 meters (1:59.21).
- First-year Liam Evans (Sauquoit, N.Y.) placed fifth in the 400-meter hurdles (1:00.26) and fifth in the 110-meter hurdles (18.92).
- Sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) placed fifth in the 400-meter dash (51.53).
- Junior Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) placed fifth in the 5,000 meters (15:22.42).
Bates will compete at the NESCAC Championships next Saturday at Middlebury, starting at 9am.