WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. -- The Bates men's track and field team scored in four more events Saturday to finish in sixth place among 32 teams that scored points for top-eight event performances.
With 40 team points, Bates outscored seventh-place Springfield by a point, and eighth-place Williams by three, while Bridgewater State placed fifth with 51 points. MIT won the meet with 139.5.
First-year Bart Rust (Croton on Hudson, N.Y.) continued his outstanding rookie year by placing second in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, scoring eight points for the Bobcats.
Rust finished the 3,000-meter steeplechase in 9:21.11, his season-best time by 10.98 seconds. He was over eight seconds ahead of third place and trailed only Plymouth State senior Sam Brunnette (9:16.83).
Rust moves into sixth place on Bates' all-time performance list in the event.
Other standout performances by the Bobcats Saturday included:
- Sophomore John Rex (Andover, Mass.) placed sixth in the shot put (47-5) a day after placing second in the hammer throw.
- Sophomore Ryan Nealis (London, U.K.) took seventh place in the 1,500 meters in a career-best time of 3:55.69.
- Sophomore Christopher Barker (Burlington, Vt.), first-year Jackson Elkins (South Deerfield, Mass.), first-year Nicholas Stathos (Wellesley, Mass.) and Nealis placed sixth in the 4x800 relay with a time of 7:53.16.
- Sophomore Zach Smith (Waterville, Maine) took ninth place in both the javelin throw (170-3) and the discus throw (137-9).
- Senior Nico Johnson (Frederick, Md.) placed ninth, one place out of team scoring, with his season-best time of 9:47.24.
- Junior Justin Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) placed 11th in the 5,000 meters, in a season-best 15:16.18.
- Junior Beaufils Kimpolo-Pene (Bronx, N.Y.) tied for 12th place in the high jump (6-2).
- Senior Zack Campbell (Brooklyn, N.Y.) placed 14th in the discus throw (131-7).
- Senior Frank Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.), senior Ryan Corley (Oakland, Calif.), senior Mark Fusco (Cheshire, Conn.) and sophomore Miles Nabritt (Brooklyn, N.Y.) took 14th place in the 4x400 relay (3:26:36).
The Bobcats will compete next weekend in the all-divisions Open New England Championships, taking place May 10-11 at Southern Connecticut State University in New Haven.