MIDDLETOWN, Conn. -- The No. 13 nationally ranked Bates women's swimming and diving team won 15 out of 16 events, while the Bates men's team won 10 of 14 swimming events as the Bobcats swept Wesleyan University in the season opener for both NESCAC squads on Saturday.
The Bates men's team outscored Wesleyan 174-105, while the women's team outscored the hosts 207-91.
Bates stays in Connecticut for a second NESCAC dual meet on Sunday at Trinity, starting at noon.
Women's Meet Highlights:
- Senior captain Emma Jarczyk (Sudbury, Mass.) won both women's diving events, scoring 213.67 points at 1 meter and 235.27 at 3 meters.
- Senior 17-time All-American and captain Sara Daher (Marblehead, Mass.) won the 100-yard backstroke in 59.40 seconds and the 200 back in 2:08.81.
- First-year Monica Sears (San Anselmo, Calif.) made her college debut by winning the 200-yard freestyle in 1:57.02, leading a 1-2-3 Bates first-year sweep with Janika Ho (Los Angeles, Calif.) in second (1:58.94) and Hannah Johnson (Brewster, Mass.) third (2:03.18). She later added wins in the 100 free (54.90) and 500 free (5:19.37).
- Sophomore Emma Lammers (Upper Arlington, Ohio) won both the 200-yard butterfly (2:14.17) and the 100 fly (1:00.70).
- Junior Nell Houde (Meriden, N.H.) led a 1-2-3 Bates sweep in the 1,000 free with a time of 10:59.01, followed by sophomore Lucy Faust (Piedmont, Calif.) and senior Julia Smachlo (Rexford, N.Y.).
- Janika Ho claimed victory in the 50 free (24.72).
- Sophomore Kristy Prelgovisk (Oakland, Maine) won the 200 breaststroke in 2:32.99.
- The Bates women led off with the top two squads in the 200-yard medley relay, headed by the quartet of Daher, Prelgovisk, Lammers and Ho with a time of 1:50.53. The Bobcats finished the women's portion of the meet with a win in the 200 free relay, on the legs of junior Anabel Carter (Camden, Maine), Sears, Johnson and Daher.
Men's Meet Highlights:
- Junior Riley Ewing (Bedford, N.H.) took first place in three individual races: the 100-yard backstroke in 53.38 seconds, the 200 back in 1:56.49 and the 200-yard individual medley in 2:01.78. Bates was followed in the 200 IM by three teammates in succession: sophomore Alex Bedard (Amherst, N.H.), senior J.D. Chow (Montclair, N.J.) and senior Chase Lis (Longmont, Colo.).
- Junior Teddy Pender (Muscat, Oman) touched the wall first in the 100 free in 47.58 seconds.
- Senior captain Dan Walpole (Montclair, N.J.) won the 200-yard breast in 2:15.04, followed in second place by Alex Bedard and senior Spencer Daus-Haberle (Lexington, Mass.).
- J.D. Chow led a 1-2-3-4 Bates sweep of the 100-yard breaststroke in 59.03 seconds, followed by Alex Bedard, Dan Walpole and first-year Matthew Charest (Lewiston, Maine).
- Bates claimed the first five places in the 50-yard freestyle, led by senior Mike Connolly (Duxbury, Mass.) in 22.49 seconds, and followed by first-year Tanner Fuller (Wellington, Fla.), senior Erik Saberski (Cheshire, Conn.), sophomore Morgan Lewis (Colorado Springs, Colo.) and first-year Matthew Engles (Akron, Ohio).
- Sophomore Matt Puckace (Madison, Ohio) won the 100 butterfly in 54.55 seconds.
- The Bates men led off with a victory in the 200-yard medley relay, with Ewing, Bedard, Pender and Rines finishing in 1:37.16. The Bobcats finished the meet by placing the top two teams in the 200-yard free relay, led off by Pender, Rines, Connolly and senior captain Jack Dina (Kenilworth, Ill.).