WORCESTER, Mass. -- In the final meet before the NESCAC Championships, the Bates men's and women's swimming and diving team competed in the uniquely formatted WPI Invitational Sunday against the host Engineers as well as Roger Williams University and Keene State College. The meet's swimming events comprised almost entirely sprints, including as short as 25 yards.
In the final women's team scoring, No. 35 WPI scored 3,766 points, followed by No. 50 Roger Williams with 2,634, No. 25 Bates with 2,104 and Keene State with 81.
In the men's team scoring, it was No. 19 nationally ranked WPI with 3,585, followed by Bates with 2,671, No. 46 Roger Williams with 1,951 and Keene State with 691.
The NESCAC Women's SWimming & Diving Championships are next for the Bobcats, taking place Feb. 10-12 at Bowdoin. The NESCAC Men's Championship follows Feb. 17-19 at Wesleyan.
- Senior captain Emma Jarczyk (Sudbury, Mass.) topped a field of six divers at 3 meters with 478.35 points, breaking her own team record in the event. Jarczyk scored 476.90 points at the 2015 NESCAC Championships. Jarczyk also topped a field of five divers at 1 meter (451.20).
- First-year Janika Ho (Los Angeles, Calif.) won the 50 fly in 26.65 seconds, after a prelim time of 26.31. She also won the 50 free in 24.81 seconds. Ho also had the fastest prelim time in the 100 back (59.51) and second fastest in the final (59.88).
- First-year Monica Sears (San Anselmo, Calif.) won the 100 freestyle final in 54.38 seconds, after a prelim time of 53.96. Sears also won the 200 free in 1:55.21. Sears had the fastest prelim time in the field in the 25 fly at 12.11 seconds.
- Junior Logan McGill (Dallas, Texas) won the 25 butterfly in 12.12 seconds. She also swam the fastest prelim time in the 100 free (53.56).
- Senior captain Sara Daher (Marblehead, Mass.) won the 100 back finals in 59.21 after a prelim time of 59.54. She was third in the 100 breast (1:10.22 final/1:10.11 prelim).
- Sophomore Kristy Prelgovisk (Oakland, Maine) won the 100 breast in 1:07.16, following a prelim time of 1:07.08.
- First-year Emily Erard-Stone (Richmond, Va.) won the 50 back (28.67).
- Junior Hope Logan (Boothbay Harbor, Maine) was second in the 100 free (55.41) and in the 50 free (25.58).
- First-year Hannah Johnson (Brewster, Mass.) was third in the 100 back (1:01.23) and third in the 25 back (13.97 final/13.75 prelim).
- Sophomore Mandy Mele (Newtown, Conn.) had the second fastest prelim time in the 25-yard freestyle (12.11) and was third in the final (12.16).
- Sophomore Emma Lammers (Upper Arlington, Ohio) was third-fastest in the 25 free prelims (12.21). She placed third in the 50 fly (27.89).
- Junior Anabel Carter (Camden, Maine) was second in the 25 fly (12.21).
- First-year Emmy Daigle (Portland, Ore.) was second in the 25 breast (14.86).
- Sophomore Lucy Faust (Piedmont, Calif.) was second in the 200 free (2:01.84) and third in the 50 free (26.35).
- Bates won the 200-yard medley relay in 1:49.74 in the finals, after a prelim time of 1:48.85.
- Bates won the 100 free relay in 45.80 seconds, 0.95 ahead of WPI.
- Bates won the 100 medley relay (50.61).
- Bates won the 200 freestyle relay (1:41.24).
- Junior Teddy Pender (Muscat, Oman) was first in the 25-yard freestyle at 10.17 seconds in the final. Pender was second in the 100 free (46.78 finals time/46.76 prelim). He recorded the fastest prelim time in the 25 fly (10.79) before finishing third in the final (10.95).
- Junior Riley Ewing (Bedford, N.H.) won the 50-yard backstroke in 24.84 seconds, after a prelim time of 24.57. Ewing placed third in the 100 butterfly in 51.62 seconds, after posting the event's fastest prelim time (50.84).
- Senior captain Josh Rines (Hollis, N.H.) won the 200-yard individual medley final in 2:03.07, after posting a 2:02.96 time in prelims. Rines swam a prelim time of 53.57 and was fourth in the final of the 100 fly at 53.72.
- Sophomore Alex Bedard (Amherst, N.H.) won the 25-yard breaststroke in 12.20 seconds. Bedard had the fastest prelim time in the 50 breast (26.76) and placed second in the final (26.90).
- Senior J.D. Chow (Montclair, N.J.) won the 100 breast in 58.91 seconds. He was fourth in the 100 individual medley (55.33, with a prelim time of 55.19).
- Sophomore Zach Collester (Holicong, Pa.) won the 100 backstroke (54.78) and was second in the 25 back (12.52 final/12.43 prelim).
- Senior Mike Connolly (Duxbury, Mass.) was second in the 50 free (22.44).
- Sophomore Drew Beland (Southborough, Mass.) was second in the 400-yard IM (4:22.90).
- Senior captain Dan Walpole (Montclair, N.J.) was second in the 100 breast (59.71 final, 59.59 prelim).
- First-year Alexander Ignatov (Trumbull, Conn.) was second in the 200 free (1:46.99).
- First-year Tanner Fuller (Wellington, Fla.) placed third in the 50 fly (24.50). Fuller was third in the 100 free (48.15). He was fourth in the 25 free prelims (10.43) and third in the final (10.46).
- First-year Matthew Charest (Lewiston, Maine) was third in the 200 IM (2:04.43).
- Junior Christopher Lee (Natick, Mass.) was third in the 200 free (1:48.10).
- Bates swam a 39.91-second 100 freestyle relay prelim, and was second in the finals (39.84).