BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The Bates men's swim team took third place in the 400-yard freestyle relay to conclude the sixth and final session of the NESCAC Men's Swimming & Diving Championships with a final All-NESCAC honor.
Bates finished the meet in sixth place out of 11 teams with 854.5 team points, trailing fifth-place Connecticut College (906.5) and scoring well ahead of seventh-place Middlebury (667). It is the Bates men's team's fifth consecutive year of placing among the top six teams at the NESCAC Championships, and the first time they have done so without a diver on the roster.
Bates' 400 free relay team of sophomore Tanner Fuller (Wellington, Fla.), senior Jonathan Depew (Hudson, Ohio), junior Alex Bedard (Amherst, N.H.) and senior Teddy Pender (Muscat, Oman) finished in 3:03.64 to take third place, with all-conference honors going to each of the top three squads.
Other Day 3 highlights for Bates included:
- Senior Riley Ewing (Bedford, N.H.) earned his third individual All-NESCAC honor of the meet with a third-place finish in the championship final of the 200-yard backstroke, in a time of 1:49.33. Ewing swam a 1:48.06 preliminary time.
- Pender picked up his second All-NESCAC honor of the meet and the 12th of his career (he later earned his 13th in the 400 free relay) by finishing third in the 100-yard freestyle championship final, with a time of 45.15 seconds.
- Junior Alex Bedard (Amherst, N.H.) took fifth place in the 200 breaststroke in a championship final time of 2:04.48.
- Sophomore Matthew Charest (Lewiston, Maine) took seventh place in the 200 breast. Charest swam a 2:04.79 trial time and a 2:06.27 in the championship final.
- Senior captain Christopher Lee (Natick, Mass.) placed 10th in the 1,650-yard freestyle race with a time of 16:24.06.
- Junior Drew Beland (Southborough, Mass.) took 12th place in the 200 backstroke (1:53.46).
Ewing and Pender were both recognized as the fifth and fourth-highest career point scorers, respectively, at the meet over the past four years.
The NCAA Division III Championships complete the 2018 schedule for Bates swimming, taking place March 21-24 at the IUPUI Natatorium in Indianapolis.