LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates men's and women's swimming and diving teams hosted Dartmouth College in a rare dual meet against an Ivy League opponent Friday night at Tarbell Pool. Dartmouth's women's team outscored Bates 166-52, while the men's score was 143-79 in the Big Green's favor.
"Although the score was lopsided, the meet had a ton of close races that I am very proud of. We even snuck in a few event wins which should give the whole program some confidence in our ability to race the best," said Bates head coach Peter Casares. "It was a pleasure hosting Dartmouth. Their kids really pushed us to swim faster and dive better than we expected."
Bates travels to Deerfield Beach, Fla., Dec. 15-23 for its annual training trip. The Bobcats' next meet is at Middlebury on Jan. 13 at 11am.
BATES WOMEN'S HIGHLIGHTS
- The Bates women's 400-yard medley relay team of first-year Isabel Mohammadi-Hall (Saratoga, Calif.), junior Emmy Daigle (Portland, Ore.), sophomore Caroline Apathy (Devon, Pa.) and sophomore Erin Bucki (Eagan, Minn.) edged Dartmouth by 1.07 seconds in a time of 3:59.89.
- Apathy placed second in the 50 freestyle (25.01).
- First-year Maya Reynoso Williams (Somerville, Mass.) was runner-up in the 200 freestyle by 0.51 seconds in a time of 1:55.74. She also took third place in the 500 freestyle (5:17.92).
- First-year Saskia Wong-Smith (Los Angeles, Calif.) was third in the 200 butterfly (2:14.82).
- Bucki took third place in the 200 backstroke (2:10.01).
- Bates' 200-yard freestyle relay team of first-year Caroline Sweeney (New Canaan, Conn.), Reynoso Williams, first-year Suzy Ryckman (Riverside, Conn.) and senior Lucy Faust (Piedmont, Calif.) placed second in 1:41.05.
BATES MEN'S HIGHLIGHTS
- The Bates men finished off the night with a win in the 200-yard freestyle relay, as first-year Pieter Cory (Dublin, Calif.), senior Matt Puckace (Madison, Ohio), junior Kyle Crans (Camden, Maine) and first-year Christopher Draper (Armonk, N.Y.) touched the wall in 1:29.09.
- Senior Alex Bedard (Amherst, N.H.) won the 200-yard breaststroke (2:11.22), and took third place in the 50 freestyle (22.43).
- Cory placed second in the 200 freestyle (1:47.35) and third in the 100 free (48.63).
- First-year Dan Waterland (Chadds Ford, Pa.) placed second in the 200 backstroke (1:57.06)
- Draper placed third in the 200 freestyle (1:47.36).
- First-year Jack Johnson (Brewster, Mass.) was second in the 200-yard individual medley (2:00.49).
- Junior Alexander Ignatov (Trumbull, Conn.) was third in the 200-yard individual medley (2:01.67) and in the 500 freestyle (4:49.82).
- First-year Osceola Heard (Newark, N.J.) placed third in 1-meter diving (195.82) and third in 3-meter diving (216.52).
- Waterland, Bedard, first-year Andrew Hall (Little Silver, N.J.) and senior Rory Collins (Brookfield, Conn.) placed second in the 400-yard medley relay (3:32.18).