MIDDLETOWN, Conn. -- Two All-NESCAC performances and many other solid races put Bates in fourth place after the first full day of action at the NESCAC Women's Swimming and Diving Championships Friday at Wesleyan University.
The meet began for the first time on Thursday night, with the 800 free relay finals, where Bates took fifth place in 7:34.73. First-year Maya Reynoso Williams (Somerville, Mass.), senior Lucy Faust (Piedmont, Calif.), sophomore Erin Bucki (Eagan, Minn.) and first-year Caroline Sweeney (New Canaan, Conn.) swam the championship final for the Bobcats.
Bates began the evening session Friday by taking third place in the 200-yard freestyle relay race, earning All-NESCAC honors for the top-three finish. Junior Janika Ho (Los Angeles, Calif.), first-year Suzy Ryckman (Riverside, Conn.), Reynoso Williams and sophomore Caroline Apathy (Devon, Pa.) finished the championship final in 1:35.13, 0.05 behind second place Connecticut College and 0.94 seconds ahead of fourth-place Tufts.
Two races later, Apathy finished second in the 50-yard butterfly for the second straight year, touching the wall in 24.95 seconds, 0.04 off of her own team record time of a year ago. Apathy picked up her second All-NESCAC award of the night with the performance.
Other top-16 efforts by the Bobcats included:
- Junior Emmy Daigle (Portland, Ore.) recorded the fourth-fastest trial time in the 50-yard breaststroke (29.87 seconds), before taking sixth place in the finals (29.95).
- Ho placed seventh in the 50 butterfly (25.88, after a trial time of 25.70) and ninth in the 50 backstroke (27.00, after a trial time of 26.90).
- Bucki took 13th place in the 200-yard individual medley (2:10.15, after a trial time of 2:10.14).
- Faust placed 15th in the 500 freestyle (5:07.55).
- Ryckman placed 14th in the 50 free (24.64, after a trial time of 24.27), and 16th in the 50 breast (31.75).
- First-year Isabel Mohammadi-Hall (Saratoga, Calif.) placed 16th in the 50 back (27.71, after a trial time of 27.50).
The meet continues Saturday with 10am and 6pm sessions. Among the day's events are the 400 IM, 100 fly, 200 free, 100 breast, 100 back and 1,000 free.