No. 18 Tufts pulls away from tight game for 13-10 win over women's lacrosse

Allison Dewey tallied three goals, one assist, three draw controls, a game-high five ground balls and two caused turnovers in Bates' 13-10 loss to Tufts on April 18, 2017. (Phyllis Graber Jensen/Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- First-year attacker Emily Games scored six goals, including four in a row in the second half, to help No. 18 Tufts University pull away from the Bates College women's lacrosse team for a 13-10 NESCAC victory Tuesday at Garcelon Field.

Dakota Adamec added three goals and a game-high seven draw controls for the Jumbos (9-4, 4-4 NESCAC) who evened their conference record with their fourth straight victory.

Senior Sydney Cowles (Wayne, Pa.) scored three goals for Bates (6-7, 1-7 NESCAC), while junior Camille Belletete (Jaffrey, N.H.) and junior Allison Dewey (Vergennes, Vt.) scored two apiece. Belletete added five draw controls, while Dewey totaled three draw controls, a game-high five ground balls and two caused turnovers.

Dewey scored back-to-back goals at the 25:30 and 20:33 marks of the second half to pull Bates into an 8-8 tie. Adamec scored on a free-position shot two minutes later to give Tufts the lead for good at 9-8. 

After a scoreless stretch of over seven minutes, Games, the NESCAC's leading scorer entering the game with 36 goals, began her game-deciding outburst, intercepting a Bates outlet pass and beating Bates sophomore goalie Eliza Statile (Ipswich, Mass.) with her third goal of the game. Statile finished the game with a career-high 12 saves.

Adamec controlled the ensuing draw and 16 seconds later, Games took a pass from Emily Meek and scored again to open an 11-8 Tufts lead. Bates controlled the next draw but again had the ball taken away by Games, who converted the steal for her fifth goal of the game and her third in a span of just 57 seconds. With 5:11 to go in the game, Games was awarded a free-position shot, which she converted for her sixth tally and a 13-8 Tufts lead.

Bates got a goal back with 4:44 left, as Statile stopped a Games shot and the Bobcats ran it back for a quick counterattack, with Dewey assisting Howard to close the gap to 13-9. But Tufts played effective keep-away the rest of the way, save for a turnover caused by Dewey in the final minute, which led to a free-position goal by first-year Liv Sandford (Kennebunk, Maine) with 12 seconds left in the game.

Prior to Games' explosion, the first 49 minutes of the game were back-and-forth, featuring six ties and four lead changes.

Tufts got on the board first, taking the ball over after Olivia Veillette caused a Bates turnover. On a quick restart after a Bates foul, Veith found Adamec with a diagonal pass for the finish.

But Bates answered with three straight goals in two minutes, prompting a Tufts timeout with 20:51 left in the half. Sophomore Sydney Howard (Ashland, Mass.) fed Belletete from the goal line to tie the game at 1-1, and Cowles followed later that minute, as her initial shot was saved by Tufts goalie Audrey Evers (14 saves) but the senior was able to bat in the rebound. Less than two minutes later, Cowles scored the game's first free-position goal for a 3-1 Bates lead.

Tufts answered with three straight goals of its own, one apiece from Meek, Hedy Veith and Cecily Freliech. 

Bates sophomore Katie Allard (Ridgewood, N.J.) tied the game back up on an assist from first-year Caroline Kerrigan (Falls Church, Va.), and Belletete tallied an unassisted score for a 5-4 lead. But Tufts scored three of the last four goals in the period. After Cowles scored her second free-position goal of the half, the Jumbos took back the lead 16.9 seconds before halftime. Games recovered a saved shot by Lily Baldwin. The ball came out to Adamec on the right wing, and she finished off a whirling drive with an upper-deck shot to give the Jumbos the 7-6 lead.

Bates will host Connecticut College on Saturday at noon in the Bobcats' final home game of the season. Tufts will host Wesleyan Saturday at noon.