Women's lacrosse pounces on Babson early, wins 18-10

Annie Duke totaled two goals and four assists as the Bates women's lacrosse team downed Babson 18-10 in a non-conference game on March 6, 2018. (Theophil Syslo/Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- An all-out blitz in the first nine minutes sustained the Bates women's lacrosse team on the way to an 18-10 non-conference victory Tuesday evening at Garcelon Field.

Thanks to an early 6-2 edge in draw controls and a quick-strike Bates offense, Babson gained possession of the ball only twice and attempted no shots before the Bobcats had already seized a 6-0 lead.

Junior Katie Allard (Ridgewood, N.J.) and senior Teal Otley (Cumberland, Maine) scored four goals apiece for the Bobcats (3-1), while Lexi Lenaghan poured in six goals for the Beavers (2-2). Bates defeated Babson for the fifth straight meeting.

Allard added two assists and senior Annie Duke (Englewood, Colo.) totaled two goals and a career-high four assists (all recorded within the first nine minutes of the game), as both Bobcats matched Lenaghan with a game-high six points. Senior Allison Dewey (Vergennes, Vt.) added two goals for Bates while senior Camille Belletete (Jaffrey, N.H.) contributed two goals, one assist and eight draw controls.

Sophomore Caroline Kerrigan (Falls Church, Va.) caused two turnovers and collected four ground balls to pace Bates' defense in front of junior goalie Eliza Statile (Ipswich, Mass.), who made six saves.

Bates controlled the opening draw and Otley quickly drew a foul to earn a free-position shot, which she connected on at the 29:35 mark.

The Bobcats went on to convert on their first eight shots of the game, with Duke feeding Allard, sophomore Liv Sandford (Kennebunk, Maine), Allard again and Dewey inside the first nine minutes. Allard also dished two assists in the opening run, one to Belletete and one to Duke. Babson turned to reserve goalie Cricket Fligor after Dewey's goal made it 8-1 with 21:22 left in the first half.

Sophomore Isabelle Paulus (Bath, Maine) scored Bates' third free-position goal of the game at the 18:47 mark to make it 9-1 before Babson found its footing. Lenaghan, who put Babson on the board with 24:27 to go on a Taylor Herrmann assist, scored back-to-back unassisted tallies at the 13:57 and 12:21 marks, and Olivia McCahan added her own unassisted goal to make it three in a row for the Beavers. 

Belletete assisted first-year Summer Dias (Newton, Mass.) to bump Bates' lead to 10-4 with 2:15 to go in the period, but Lenaghan ripped two more shots into the Bates net in the final two minutes, closing the gap to 10-6 at the half.

The two sides traded goals in the opening seven minutes of the second half, as the Beavers made it a four-goal game twice more at 11-7 and 12-8. Herrmann and Julia Harrigan scored for Babson, offsetting an extra-man goal by Dewey and a rare Bates goal scored by first-year defender Avery Prince (Chevy Chase, Md.) and assisted by junior defender Anika Becker (Summit, N.J.) off a Babson turnover.

After Harrigan's goal, Bates scored two straight to start a 6-1 run that sealed the win. Allard and Otley scored two goals apiece in the game-clinching 10-minute stretch, capped by Otley's third 8-meter goal of the game.

Herrmann fed Taylor Thorbahn as Babson notched the final goal of the game with 19 seconds remaining.

Bates remains at home to host No. 18 nationally ranked Wesleyan in a NESCAC game Saturday at noon.