Women's lacrosse tops Roger Williams 13-5 at home

Annie Duke and the Bates women's lacrosse team downed Roger Williams University 13-5 on March 22, 2018 at Garcelon Field. (Theophil Syslo/Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates women's lacrosse team took control early and cruised to a 13-5 non-conference victory over Roger Williams University Thursday evening on Garcelon Field, as four Bobcats scored multiple goals.

Bates (4-3) regained a winning record following two losses in a row, while the Hawks (4-2) dropped their second straight game after starting the season 4-0.

Senior Teal Otley (Cumberland, Maine) led the Bobcats in scoring with three goals and one assist, while senior Annie Duke (Englewood, Colo.), senior Camille Belletete (Jaffrey, N.H.) and junior Katie Allard (Ridgewood, N.J.) all tallied two goals and one assist apiece. Junior Sydney Howard (Ashland, Mass.) contributed three assists.

Carly Martin led the Hawks with two goals and one assist; Emily Stoeppel added a goal and an assist.

The host Bobcats scored the game's first five goals, starting off with Belletete's drive down the middle off of the opening draw, just 34 seconds into the contest. With 23:11 to go, Allard found Otley open in the middle with a good look over the top. Roger Williams called timeout with the score 2-0, but Belletete won the ensuing draw and scored again on a give-and-go with Otley, just 10 seconds after Bates' previous goal.

Thirty-six seconds later, Bates made it 4-0 as sophomore Isabelle Paulus (Bath, Maine) won the draw and Duke scored on a give-and-go play with Howard.

The Bobcats made it 5-0 at the 1646 mark, as Margaret Smith caused a Hawks turnover and Belletete fed Dewey cutting across the RWU goal for an open look.

RWU got on the scoreboard with 14:43 to go in the half with Stoeppel feeding Martin, closing the gap to 5-1.

Both teams' goalies, Bates senior Eliza Statile (Ipswich, Mass.) and RWU's Lydia Nelson, traded a pair of saves before sophomore Avery MacMullen (New Haven, Conn.) found first-year Elsbeth Caulo (Amherst, N.H.) open on the near post with 7:27 remaining. Less than a minute later, after Belletete controlled the draw, Duke cashed in on a free-position attempt to make it 7-1.

RWU's Shayne Rivard swept right to left for a score with 3:24 remaining. But with under two minutes left in the half, Bates forced an RWU turnover and turned it into a fast-break goal by Otley, assisted by Duke to make it 8-2 at intermission.

Bates held RWU scoreless for nearly 18 minutes to start the second half, meanwhile scoring four unanswered goals to establish a 12-2 lead with 14:43 left in the game.

The Hawks responded with a 3-0 run that ended the running clock and brought the visitors within seven (12-5) with 5:53 left in the game. Delana Erickson scored the Hawks' lone free-position goal with 12:11 to go, then Martin scored on an assit from Devon Sarazin at 10:18 before assisting Stoeppel's goal with 5:53 to go.

Bates' Allard finished off the scoring with a nifty 8-meter shot with 1:47 remaining in the game.

Bates won 14 of 20 draws and collected 22 of 36 ground balls in the game. Belletete led all players iwth seven draw controls, and Dewey scooped a game-high five ground balls. Statile made eight saves in the game.

Nelson made five saves, Stoeppel had three daw controls and Serena Murphy led the Hawks with three ground balls.

Bates will next play at NESCAC rival Williams, Saturday at 12pm.