No. 21 women's lacrosse tops Connecticut College 11-10

Summer Dias scored four goals and added an assist as the No. 21 nationally ranked Bates women's lacrosse team defeated Connecticut College 11-10 on April 6, 2019. (Theophil Syslo/Bates College)

LEWISTON, Maine -- The No. 21 nationally ranked Bates women's lacrosse team never trailed and held off a comeback by Connecticut College to defeat the Camels 11-10 in a NESCAC game Saturday on Garcelon Field.

Sophomore Summer Dias (Newton, Mass.) scored four goals and added an assist to lead the Bobcats (8-4, 4-3 NESCAC), who ensured a final record of .500 or better and reached eight wins for the first time in three years. Sophomore Margaret Smith (Wilton, Conn.) scored three goals and Kathryn Grennon (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) added two goals and an assist.

Hannah Lombard scored five goals for the Camels (3-8, 0-7 NESCAC), who remain in search of their first conference win. Jamie Navoni scored three goals and gathered nine draw controls, while Kelly Wolin added two goals and an assist.

Dias scored two of her goals in the opening nine minutes as Bates took a 4-1 lead, then made it 5-1 on a free-position shot by Smith. That goal was Smith's second of the game, and she went on to pot three scores on the day.

The Camels responded with three unanswered scores, the first two notched by Navoni, who swam past three defenders to finish off her first score, then took one step and shot a rocket of an 8-meter shot past Bates goalie Eliza Statile (Ipswich, Mass.) for her second. Lombard closed the gap to 5-4 with 13:22 left in the first half.

But Grennon converted an assist from Dias a minute later, and Dias muscled through two defenders for an unassisted score, making it 7-4 Bates with 10:05 to go in the half. Grennon gave Bates its second four-goal advantage of the half with a free-position shot with 8:02 left.

The Camels scored the last three goals of the half, two by Lombard and one by Wolin, to again narrow the gap to one goal before intermission. Then Navoni scored 70 seconds into the second half to even the score for the first time since it was 0-0, at 8-8 with 28:50 left in regulation.

Dias tallied the go-ahead goal to follow a missed free-position shot by the Bobcats, making it 9-8 with 27:24 to go. After a 12-minute scoreless stretch by both teams, Smith scored her third goal from the left wing, taking a pass from behind the goal line from sophomore Elsbeth Caulo (Amherst, N.H.).

Lombard scored a free-position goal at the 9:21 mark to clsoe the gap to 10-9. But Bates junior defender Liv Sandford's (Kennbunk, Maine) first goal of the season gave Bates breathing room again.

The Bobcat defense blocked a free-position shot by Lombard with 3:49 to go, but Lombard was awarded another 8-meter shot at 3:35, which she buried to make it a one-goal game once again.

The Bobcats won the ensuing draw but the Camels retrieved the ball twice in the remaining three minutes. Statile saved a shot by the Camels' Kate Bermingham with 2:23 to go. Then with a minute remaining, the Camels' Abbie Cronin made a steal. Connecticut College called timeout with 33.3 seconds remaining and set up a final shot by Navoni with 17 seconds left, which was turned away by Statile, allowing Bates to run out the remainder of regulation time.

Bates first-year Anna Reaman (Hingham, Mass.) started and had a big day on defense for the Bobcats with four ground balls and two caused turnovers. Statile finished with 14 saves, while the Camels' Nina Fazio made eight.

Bates next plays April 16 at home against Tufts. The Camels will host Amherst on Tuesday at 6pm.