LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates women's tennis team hosted the second annual Wallach Women's Doubles Invitational Saturday and Sunday at the Wallach Tennis Center, a chance for players from Bates, Bowdoin, Babson, Brandeis, Colby, Trinity and Wheaton to play lots of tennis in the sunshine, while trying different doubles combinations in anticipation of the season ahead.
The host Bobcats participated in 18 matches in all, capturing seven wins over the two days.
Bates competed in 10 matches in Saturday's action, winning four times:
- In the A Draw, first-year Anna Rozin (Toronto, Ontario) and sophomore Hannah Sweeney (Franklin, Mass.) defeated Keren Khromchenko and Sophia He of Brandeis 8-6.
- Junior Lauren Hernandez (Chester, N.J.) and first-year Sydney Byrnes (Aix-en-Provence, France) won two straight matches to reach the finals of the B Draw on Saturday. The pair defeated Brandeis's Michele Lehat and Rachel Zubrinsky 8-7(5) in the first round, then downed Gabriela Venditti and Callie Nesbitt 8-3 before falling to Colby pair Carly Levitz and Olivia Scordo by an 8-7(7) score.
- Also in the B Draw, sophomore Haley Washington (Bloomfield Hills, Mich.) and senior Hannah Londoner (Westport, Conn.) recorded an 8-3 victory over Mary Kille and Marissa Madison of Babson.
Bates pairs went 3-5 on the second day of the tournament, including the following victories:
- Rozin and Washington teamed up to defeat Elena Pellegrini and Marta Drausnik of Trinity 8-5 in the A Draw.
- Sweeney and Hernandez teamed up in the B Draw and registered an 8-7(6) win over Ines de Bracamonte and Connor O'Keefe of Wheaton.
- Also in the B Draw, Byrnes and Londoner defeated Trinity College duo Morgan Wilkins and Krista Jiranek 8-2.
Bates travels to Williams College next weekend, Sept. 28-30, for the ITA Division III Northeast Regional Championships.