LEWISTON, Maine -- Junior Ayden Eickhoff recorded an early-season school record in the 1,000 meters as the Bates women's track and field team opened the 2018 indoor season by hosting Colby and MIT and finishing second in team scoring.
With the top four athletes scoring team points on a 5-3-2-1 basis, MIT scored 106 points, followed by Bates with 53.5 and Colby with 28.5.
Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.), a two-time All-American, won the kilometer in 2:57.24, breaking the former team record of 2:57.68 set by Kelley Puglisi in 2003.
Bates exhibited tremendous depth in the hurdles, with four athletes recording a top-10 performance in Bates program history. First-year Amanda Kaufmann (Somers, Conn.) became the second-fastest 60-meter hurdler in team history in her first collegiate heat of 9.31 seconds, the fastest in the field of 12. Kaufman hit a hurdle in the final and finished fourth at 9.70 seconds. First-year Jenny Martin (Lewiston, Maine) ran a 9.49 prelim, ranking her fourth-fastest in team history, and junior Sarah Shoulta (Waterville, Maine) finished third in the final with a personal-best time of 9.56 seconds, fifth-fastest on the team list. McCoole chimed in at 9.90, eighth-best in team history.
A pair of first-years won events for Bates: Imani Boggan (Lafayette, Calif.) won the 400-meter dash in 1:01.54, entering the team's all-time performance list at No. 10. And first-year Molly McCoole (New Bedford, N.H.) won the high jump (5-4.5), moving into fifth place on Bates'all-time performance list.
Other scoring performances for Bates on the day included:
- Senior Katherine Cook (South Burlington, Vt.) finished second in the mile, at 5:10.22.
- Junior captain Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) was third in both the shot put (35-7.25) and the weight throw (43-9.75).
- Martin took fourth place in the 200-meter dash (27.72)
- Sophomore Anna Beaudet (Auburn, Maine) placed fourth in the 60-meter dash in 8.27 seconds, including a preliminary time of 8.21.
- Sophomore Talia Binns (Interlaken, N.J.) placed fourth in the 400 (1:04.81).
- Sophomore Casey Snow (Ridgefield, Conn.), senior captain Caroline Gettens (Concord, N.H.) and senior Julia Nemy (San Francisco, Calif.) finished 2-3-4 in the 600 meters, at 1:45.75, 1:47.52 and 1:47.79, respectively.
- Juniors Sarah Rothmann (Andover, Mass.) and Wendy Memishian (Medfield, Mass.) were second and third in the 800 meters, in 2:27.69 and 2:38.35, respectively.
- Junior Shelby Burns (Uniontown, Pa.) was third in the high jump (4-10.5).
- First-year Sojung Kim (Thornhill, Ontario) was fourth in the 1,000 meters (3:07.13).
- Sophomore Daniella Pascucci (Needham, Mass.) placed fourth in the 3,000 meters (10:47.26).
- Senior Srishti Sunil (Bangalore, India) was fourth in the long jump (16-3).
- First-year Genesis Paulino (Lawrence, Mass.) was fourth in the shot put (32-1).
- Bates won the distance medley relay in 12:38.88, on legs run in order by Eickhoff, Boggan, Kim and Cook.
- Beaudet, Shoulta, Kaufman and Martin were second in the 4x200 relay (1:49.00).
Next Saturday, Bates will host the University of Maine, Bryant University and several Division III teams in the Bates Invitational, starting at noon.