LEWISTON, Maine -- No. 10 nationally ranked Bates won the State of Maine Women's Indoor Track & Field Championships in convincing fashion for the fifth consecutive year on Friday night at home in Merrill Gymnasium, outscoring runner-up Bowdoin by a team-record margin of 75 points.
The Bobcats captured first place in six of 19 events and used impressive depth to pile up the most points at the meet in team history. The 75-point margin of victory is the second most in meet history, after the University of Maine in 1987.
Two meet records were broken: Bates senior Sally Ceesay (Bronx, N.Y.) broke her own meet record in the triple jump at 38-7.5, and Colby's Sara Friedland set the meet record in the 60-meter dash (7.92 seconds).
Top-three event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Junior captain Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) won both the shot put (38-8.75) and weight throw (48-1.75).
- Senior Katherine Cook (South Burlington, Vt.) won the 3,000-meter run in 10:14.04, and finished third in the mile (5:04.74).
- Senior Srishti Sunil (Bangalore, India) won the long jump (17-7), placed second in the high jump (5-0.5) and took third place in the triple jump (36-4).
- Junior Ayden Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.) placed second in the mile (5:03.30).
- First-year Imani Boggan (Lafayette, Calif.) took second place in the 400-meter dash (1:01.05).
- First-year Sojung Kim (Thornhill, Ontario) finished second in the 800 meters (2:24.44).
- Sophomore Ashley Pratt (Turner, Maine) took second place in the pole vault with a career-best height of 10-6.
- Sophomore Daniella Pascucci (Needham, Mass.) finished second in the 5,000 meters (18:34.87).
- Junior Sarah Rothmann (Andover, Mass.) took second place in the 1,000-meter run (3:03.34).
- Sophomore Paige Rabb (Stamford, Conn.) placed third in the 400-meter dash (1:02.42).
- First-year Jenny Martin (Lewiston, Maine) placed third in the 200-meter dash (27.01).
- Sophomore Casey Snow (Ridgefield, Conn.) placed third in the 600 meters (1:43.53).
- Senior Callie Reynolds (West Hartford, Conn.) placed third in the 3,000 meters (10:26.59).
- First-year Abby Hamilton (Freeport, Maine) finished third in the 5,000 meters (18:46.98).
- First-year Amanda Kaufman (Somers, Conn.) finished third in the 60-meter hurdles.
- Junior Shelby Burns (Uniontown, Pa.) took third place in the high jump (5-0.5).
- First-year Genesis Paulino (Lawrence, Mass.) took third place in the weight throw (40-5.5).
- Ceesay finished third in the long jump (17-2) in addition to her win in the triple jump.
- Bates won the 4x400 relay by 10.98 seconds in 4:07.76, on legs run by Boggan, junior Sarah Shoulta (Waterville, Maine), Kim and Rabb.
- The Bobcats finished second in the 4x800 relay in 10:06.10, with legs run by first-year Vanessa Paolella (Dingmans Ferry, Pa.), senior Julia Nemy (San Francisco, Calif.), Rothmann and junior Wendy Memishian (Medway, Mass.).
Bates will next compete in the Valentine Invitational next Friday at Boston University.