BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The No. 26 nationally ranked Bates women's track and field team tuned up for next weekend's NESCAC Championships with a second-place finish out of eight teams at the Aloha Relays Saturday at Bowdoin.
Bates won five events at the meet and scored 120 points, trailing Bowdoin (214) but ahead of Southern Maine (101), Wellesley (71), Colby (67), Husson (66), UMaine-Farmington (31) and St. Joseph's (8).
Highlights from the Bobcat side included:
- First-year Imani Boggan (Lafayette, Calif.) won the 400-meter dash in 58.97 seconds, and also led off Bates' winning 4x400 relay team (4:05.05), followed by junior Ayden Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.), first-year So Kim (Thornhill, Ontario), and first-year Jenny Martin (Lewiston, Maine).
- Junior captain Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) won the hammer throw (143-6) and finished second in the shot put (37-3.75).
- Senior Lindsey Beauregard (Hollis, N.H.) won the heptathlon with 3,863 points.
- First-year Amanda Kaufman (Somers, Conn.) won the 100-meter hurdles in 15.40 seconds. She also placed second in the 400-meter hurdles (1:07.75).
- Senior Katherine Cook (South Burlington, Vt.) placed second in the 1,500 meters (4:39.40).
- Martin placed third in the 400 hurdles (1:07.90).
- Junior Sarah Shoulta (Waterville, Maine) took third place in the 100 hurdles (15.82).
- First-year Vanessa Paolella (Dingmans Ferry, Pa.) placed third in the 5,000 meters (18:24.72).
- First-year Genesis Paulino (Lawrence, Mass.) placed fourth in the hammer (125-0) and fourth in the discus (111-5).
- First-year Sarah Abbott (Chatham, N.J.) placed fifth in the 10,000 meters (44:42.75).
- First-year Ellie Strauss (Port Matilda, Pa.) placed fifth in the javelin (94-4).
- Junior Shelby Burns (Uniontown, Pa.) placed fifth in the high jump (4-10.5)
- Eickhoff placed fifth in the 1,500 meters (4:47.96).
- Rothmann placed sixth in the 1,500 meters (4:49.64).
- Senior Mary Szatkowski (Buxton, Maine) took sixth place in the 5,000 meters (19:21.40).
The NESCAC Championships take place Saturday beginning at 9am at Trinity College.