LEWISTON, Maine -- The Bates women's track and field team more than doubled the score of the runner-up team, Division II Franklin Pierce, in taking first place out of five squads from Division II or III in the Bates Invitational on Saturday in Merrill Gymnasium.
The Bobcats won 11 events en route to 224.33 points. Franklin Pierce was second (110), followed by Keene State (82.33), Husson (45.33) and St. Joseph's (41).
Top-two event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Sophomore Amanda Kaufman (Somers, Conn.) won the pentathlon with a score of 2,982 points, putting her in fifth place on Bates' all-time performance list in the event.
- Senior Hannah Austin (North Yarmouth, Maine) led a 1-2-3 Bates sweep in the 5,000 meters with a time of 18:28.23.
- Sophomore Imani Boggan (Lafayette, Calif.) won the 600 meters in 1:41.11.
- First-year Rebecca Willis (West Newbury, Mass.) won the 60-meter hurdles in 10.00 seconds and the triple jump at 31-4.
- Senior Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) won the weight throw (48-6) and placed second in the shot put (36-0.75).
- Senior Ayden Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.) led a 1-2-3-4 Bates sweep in the mile with a time of 5:08.78.
- First-year Elise Lambert (Amherst, N.H.) won the 1,000-meter run in 3:04.43 and placed second in the high jump (5-3), putting her in a tie for eighth place on Bates' all-time performance list in the high jump.
- Junior Ashley Pratt (Greene, Maine) won the pole vault in 10-6.
- The 4x400 relay team of Boggan, Willis, first-year Sophie Matt (New Albany, Ohio) and first-year Mary Corcoran (Brookline, Mass.) won with a time of 4:10.43.
- Senior Wendy Memishian (Medway, Mass.), sophomore Vanessa Paolella (Dingmans Ferry, Pa.), sophomore Abby Hamilton (Yarmouth, Maine) and senior Sarah Rothmann (Andover, Mass.) won the 4x800 relay in a time of 10:09.53.
- Corcoran placed second in the 400 meters (1:02.26)
- Rothmann placed second in the mile (5:18.82).
- First-year Tara Ellard (Brewster, Mass.) placed second in the 3,000 meters (11:01.32).
- Sophomore Katie Barker (Burlington, Vt.) finished second in the 5,000 meters (18:28.62).
- First-year Lauren Berube (Auburn, Maine) tied for second in the pole vault (10-0), while first-year Lily Simmons (Harpers Ferry, W.Va.) placed fourth at the same height -- putting both athletes in a tie for seventh place on Bates' all-time performance list in the pole vault. Berube also placed third in the long jump (16-0.5).
The Bobcats will compete in the Terrier Classic at Boston University Jan. 25-26 and at the USM Invitational on Jan. 26.