GORHAM, Maine -- A split squad representing the Bates women's track and field team won two events and placed second out of 10 teams competing Saturday in the USM Invitational.
The Bobcats scored 117 points at the meet, trailing only Assumption (234). Southern Maine (100.5) was third, with Southern New Hampshire (86) and Husson (41.5) rounding out the top five teams.
Top-four event performances by the Bobcats included:
- Bates' three pole vaulters all cleared 10 feet and grabbed three of the top four places out of 18 athletes in the event. First-year Lauren Berube (Auburn, Maine) took first place at 10-6, while junior Ashley Pratt (Greene, Maine) also cleared 10-6 to place second. Berube moved into a tie with Pratt on Bates' all-time performance list in the indoor pole vault, in sixth place.
- First-year Lily Simmons (Harpers Ferry, W.Va.) cleared 10-0 in the pole vault, taking fourth place.
- Sophomore Amanda Kaufman (Somers, Conn.) tied for first place among 16 athletes in the high jump, clearing the bar at 5-1.
- Senior Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) placed second in the weight throw (47-6.5) and came in fourth in the shot put (38-2.75).
- Taking second place in the 4x400 relay, in a time of 4:19.07, were first-year Rebecca Willis (West Newbury, Mass.), junior Megan Seymour (West Hartford, Conn.), first-year Emily-Claire Duffy (Belmont, Mass.) and junior Casey Snow (Ridgefield, Conn.).
- Sophomore Jenny Martin (Lewiston, Maine), senior Sarah Shoulta (Waterville, Maine), Duffy and senior Kristine Zengeler (Wauconda, Ill.) took second place in the 4x200 relay (1:51.87).
- Senior Hannah Austin (North Yarmouth, Maine) took second place in the mile, with a time of 5:30.28.
- Senior Wendy Memishian (Medway, Mass.) placed second in the 3,000 meters (10:57.13).
- Sophomore Jenny Martin (Lewiston, Maine) placed fourth in the 55-meter dash (7.62).
- First-year Emily Carty (Sweden, Maine) placed fourth in the mile (5:34.90).
Bates will compete next at the Maine State Meet, held at Bowdoin Friday at 6pm.