BOSTON -- An outstanding performance in the distance medley relay concluded a Valentine Invitational full of personal-best times for the Bates women's track and field team on Saturday at Boston University.
With senior Sarah Rothmann (Andover, Mass.) leading off the DMR in the 1,200-meter leg, followed by sophomore Amanda Kaufman (Somers, Conn.) in the 400, first-year Elise Lambert (Amherst, N.H.) in the 800 and senior Ayden Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.) in the 1,600 meters, Bates finished the relay in 11:50.86, eighth-fastest out of 32 squads from all three NCAA divisions and beyond. Only MIT (11:41.25), Williams (11:50.34) and Brandeis (11:50.34) were faster among Division III entries.
The time puts the quartet in excellent company among the program's historically fastest DMR squads, at No. 4 on the all-time performance list. It is also nearly five seconds faster than any time in Division III at the start of the day.
Other Bates highlights from Friday's action at the Valentine Invitational included:
- Senior Katie Barker (Burlington, Vt.) finished the 3,000 meters in 10:01.74, sixth-fastest among 182 women from all three divisions and beyond. Barker moved onto Bates' all-time top 10 list in the event, into the No. 5 spot. Barker's time puts her in 15th place on the national performance list in the event.
- Amanda Kaufman ran the 60-meter hurdles in 9.18 seconds, missing the invitational finals by one spot, 0.03 seconds behind Vickie Milledge of Georgetown.
- Sophomore Imani Boggan (Lafayette, Calif.) ran the 400-meter dash in a career-best 58.84 seconds.
- Sophomore Vanessa Paolella (Dingmans Ferry, Pa.) ran the 1,000 meters in 3:02.14, just 0.01 outside Bates' top-10 all-time performance list, while first-year Emily Carty (Sweden, Maine) finished in 3:05.67.
- First-year Sophie Matt (New Albany, Ohio) ran the 400 meters in 1:00.62.
- The 4x400 relay team of Boggan, Matt, Willis and first-year Mary Corcoran (Brookline, Mass.) finished in 4:00.46.
- Sophomore Jenny Martin (Lewiston, Maine) led four Bobcats in the 200-meter dash with her time of 26.26 seconds. Following were first-year Rebecca Willis (West Newbury, Mass.) in 26.64, first-year Emily-Claire Duffy (Belmont, Mass.) in 27.39, and first-year Lauren Berube (Auburn, Maine) in 28.23.
- Senior Wendy Memishian (Medway, Mass.) ran the mile in 5:35.97.
- Junior Talia Binns (Interlaken, N.J.) ran the 400 meters in 1:01.98.
Bates will next compete in the Bowdoin Invitational on Saturday, Feb. 16, starting at 11am.