BRUNSWICK, Maine -- A handful of lifetime-best performances vaulted some Bates women's track and field athletes high up the national event rankings on Saturday, helping the Bobcats place 10th at the New England Division III Indoor Championships.
With 10 All-New England performances on the day, Bates scored 40 team points to finish 10th among the 26 teams that scored points for top-eight event performances. The Bobcats were nine points ahead of 11th-place Amherst (31).
Winning All-New England honors for scoring at the meet for the Bobcats were:
- Senior Ayden Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.), a three-time All-American, bettered her previous personal record in the mile by more than five seconds with her second-place time of 4:57.55. The time makes Eickhoff the second-fastest miler in team history, trailing only Bud Arens '12 (4:55.59). It also translates to 4:54.64 on a banked track, which puts Eickhoff seventh on the national Division III performance list in the event. (She also ranks seventh in the 800 meters.)
- First-year Elise Lambert (Amherst, N.H.) had a breakthrough performance in the 800-meter run, taking third place in a personal-best time of 2:13.69, under Eickhoff's winning time in the event a year ago (2:15.14). The time puts Lambert in fourth place on Bates' all-time performance list, up from eighth. It also translates to 2:12.17 on a banked track, vaulting her into ninth place on the national performance list.
- Bates wrapped up the meet with a third-place performance in the 4x800 relay race, with a time of 9:27.86 that was more than eight seconds ahead of fourth-place WPI and the fourth-fastest in program history. Senior Sarah Rothmann (Andover, Mass.) led off for Bates, followed by Lambert, sophomore So Kim (Thornhill, Ontario) and Eickhoff.
- Sophomore Amanda Kaufman (Somers, Conn.) finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles in 9.06 seconds, 0.05 under her previous lifetime best. Kaufman is already second on Bates' all-time performance list in the event, and she ranks 20th in Division III in the event.
- Senior Katie Barker (Burlington, Vt.) placed sixth out of a fast field of 21 in the 3,000 meters, with a personal-best time of 9:56.95. The time translates to 9:51.88 on a banked track and puts Barker in 12th place on the national performance list.
- Senior Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) took sixth place in the weight throw (49-1) and eighth place in the shot put (37-8.5).
- First-year Mary Corcoran (Brookline, Mass.) placed seventh in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:39.59.
- Sophomore Vanessa Paolella (Dingmans Ferry, Pa.) placed eighth in the 1,000 meters (3:02.33).
- Bates placed eighth in the 4x400 relay in 4:05.25, on legs run by Kaufman, Corcoran, first-year Rebecca Willis (West Newbury, Mass.) and senior Sarah Shoulta (Waterville, Maine).
Other non-scoring performances of note by the Bobcats included:
- Senior Shelby Burns (Uniontown, Pa.) tied for 10th place in the high jump (5-2.25).
- Sophomore Imani Boggan (Lafayette, Calif.) placed 10th in the 400-meter dash in 59.78 seconds.
- Kaufman placed 11th in the 200-meter dash (26.68).
- Lambert placed 15th in the high jump (5-0.25).
- First-year Emily Carty (Sweden, Maine) placed 17th in the 1,000 meters (3:09.09).
- Sophomore Genesis Paulino (Lawrence, Mass.) placed 18th in the weight throw (43-7.25).
Bates will likely compete in some events at next Saturday's Tufts Final Qualifying Meet, before heading to the NCAA Division III Championships at the Reggie Lewis Center in Boston March 8-9.