MIDDLEBURY, Vt. -- Senior captain Ayden Eickhoff won the 800-meter run and placed second in the 1,500 meters, leading the Bates women's track and field team to fifth place out of 11 teams Saturday at the NESCAC Track & Field Championships at Middlebury.
The Bobcats scored 52.5 points to edge sixth-place Hamilton by half a point for fifth place, moving three places up from their eighth-place finish at the meet a year ago.
Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.) finished second in the 1,500 behind Williams junior Anna Passannante, 4:36.27 to 4:37.11, before the rivals switched places in the 800 about two hours later, with Eickhoff winning her second NESCAC title in the event with a time of 2:14.41 to Passannante's 2:14.88. The five-time All-American has now also won five All-NESCAC honors in track and field, in addition to her two All-NESCAC awards for cross country. Both of Eickhoff's times were season bests, and both rank her 20th nationally in Division III.
Other points-scoring performances for top-eight event finishes by the Bobcats included:
- First-year Elise Lambert (Amherst, N.H.) took second place in the 400-meter hurdles (1:06.11), earning her first All-NESCAC award for the top-three finish.
- Senior captain Katie Hughes (Pittsfield, Maine) placed third in the hammer throw with a top effort or 140-3, winning her third career All-NESCAC honor for the top-three finish. Hughes also placed fourth in the shot put (36-7).
- Senior Katie Barker (Burlington, Vt.) placed fifth in the 5,000 meters, with a time of 18:02.72.
- Sophomore Genesis Paulino (Lawrence, Mass.) took sixth place in both the discus throw (115-3) and the hammer (132-11).
- First-year Lily Simmons (Harpers Ferry, W.Va.) tied for seventh place in the pole vault with Tufts senior Sydney Ladner, clearing the bar at 10-2.
- Sophomore Ellie Strauss (Port Matilda, Pa.) placed seventh in the javelin throw (106-5).
- Placing seventh in the 4x800 relay with a time of 10:01.14 were senior captain Sarah Rothmann (Andover, Mass.), first-year Mary Corcoran (Brookline, Mass.), first-year Tara Ellard (Brewster, Mass.) and first-year Loren Andrews (Wellesley, Mass.).
Bates next competes in the New England Division III Outdoor Championships, taking place May 3-4 at Williams College.