BRUNSWICK, Maine -- The No. 26 nationally ranked Bates women's cross country team rolled to its third straight state title Saturday at the Maine State Meet Invitational, claiming five of seven places on the all-state team.
The meet included six out-of-state teams, and thus was scored as both a 12-team state championship meet and an 18-team invitational.
Bates scored 25 points in the state meet to easily outpace Colby (56), with Bowdoin (66) third, and the University of New England (116) and Southern Maine (152) rounding out the top five teams.
In the overall 18-team scoring, No. 22 Brandeis edged Bates for first place 39 points to 43. No. 11 Tufts (89) was third, followed by Colby (105), Bowdoin (113), and Connecticut College (179).
Senior Katie Barker (Burlington, Vt.) led Bates, covering Bowdoin's 6-kilometer campus course in 22:20.9, which was third fastest among Maine runners and fifth overall. The all-state honor is the second of Barker's career.
Bates' remaining four scorers and two displacers were:
- Junior Olivia LaMarche (Lynnfield, Mass.) was fourth in Maine and seventh overall (22:48.2), winning her second all-state honors;
- Sophomore Abby Hamilton (Yarmouth, Maine) was fifth in Maine and ninth overall (22:51.8), earning her second all-state honors.
- Sophomore Vanessa Paolella (Dingmans Ferry, Pa.) was sixth in Maine and 10th overall (23:07.7), claiming her first all-state award.
- Senior Wendy Memishian (Medway, Mass.) was seventh in Maine and 12th overall (23:14.4), capturing her first all-state honor.
- Senior Ayden Eickhoff (Corvallis, Mont.) was eighth in Maine and 13th overall (23:16.2).
- First-year Tara Ellard (Brewster, Mass.) was 10th in Maine and 15th overall (23:20.4).
Bates next competes as a split squad on Oct. 13, with some runners competing at the Pre-National Meet in Winneconne, Wis., which starts at 10:30am Central Time, and others at the Bowdoin Invitational, which starts at 11am.